The Sloth Sanctuary and Rescue Centre

Cahuita, Costa Rica… - From US:(011-506)750-0775

The Sloth Sanctuary and Rescue Centre Cahuita Reviews

kingoftheicedragons kingofth…
Visit the Sloth Sanctuary Jan 19, 2011
We were here as part of a cruise shore excursion, so I can't actually comment on how much the Sloth Sanctuary is. I do know that this place is worth going to, though, and I will have memories of this place for a long time to come.

When we first got there, we watched a short video about sloths before going and spending some time with the adult sloths as we were told more about the sloths, and these ones in particular. And this is where we were able to pet the sloths, and while they look like they might have coarse fur, it's actually quite soft. Following the adult sloths, we went to the sloth nursery, where the baby sloths are cared for before being returned to the wild if possible. We spent a considerable amount of time here with the babies and getting more questions answered. There was also a wild sloth that wasn't far away in a tree that was great to see, too.

Then came the canoe ride through the river, where we were able to see a lot of wildlife thanks to our canoe guides, including basilisk lizards and howler monkeys, and the final stop to see a cayman as it waited for its prey to come by in the river.

There is also a short path through the forest as well, where it's possible to see more wildlife, though we didn't see any, but it was interesting to learn more about the types of trees that grew in the area as well.
chebella82 chebella…
Amazing experience! Don't miss it Jan 26, 2010
Visiting this rescue was the highlight of my visit to Costa Rica. These incredible animals will steal your heart! You can get up close and personal with them, and take great pictures. There were many ADORABLE babies and adults there so plenty to see. The tour to see them is only $25 and includes a boat tour around the property where you see other interesting wildlife in the trees. The employees there are wonderful as well. Although there is not much else to do in Cahuita, this is a must see! :)
entrance to sloth sanctuary
me and buttercup, the adorable 18 …
another baby, smiling
travelman727 says:
Nice review! Next time in Costa Rica, I'll make a point of visiting the Sloth Sanctuary and Rescue Centre :-D
Posted on: Feb 12, 2010
Stigen Stigen
Amazing Oct 08, 2009
This is the place to go while on the caribbean coast of Costa Rica. Strangely enough it is`nt even listed in Lonely Planet, but it should be....

The people working here do a good job for these amazing creatures from the money they earn on visitors and the shop. At first I thought 25$ was a bit expensive, but after the tour you come to realize that it is sooo worth it !

You get to meet with these great animals, and interact with them.

you get to take an hour canoe trip in the amazing park they have surrounding the area. There are lots of animals along this river. This short canoe trip will have you seeing more wildlife then a 10 hour trek through some of the best national parks in the country !

It is good if your group is small though, so you won`t have to drag along some annoying kids, or noisy tourists. Also it will enable you to get much better contact with these remarkable animals. There is many sloths in the center , each with their own sad story as to why they are there.

You`ll even get to meet the amazing sloth babies, who I personally think is a million times cuter then any human baby could be.

In the end there is the queen of all the sloths here: Buttercup ! a 17-year old super-social 3-toed sloth ! she`ll melt your heart for certain.

Go here ! learn more about sloths !
The entrance
physical theraphy
pretty girl !
sarahsan says:
Hi Stig! Congrats on getting your review featured! When I read it two days ago I knew it deserved to be featured! Well done! Keep up the good work!
Posted on: Oct 15, 2009
Dr_Seuss says:
Where's the pic of you getting cuddled ???

Congrats on the feature Stig
Posted on: Oct 14, 2009
Stigen says:
Thanks for that ! always fun !
Posted on: Oct 14, 2009
Aussie_Chamuda Aussie_C…
The Sloth Sanctuary & Rescue Centre - By far the most memorable experience I have had in Costa Rica Sep 01, 2008
By far the most memorable experience I have had in Costa Rica so far was getting to learn about The Sloth Rescue Centre and meet (up close and personal) the sloths inhabiting the Sanctuary.

Run by the wonderful Arroyo family, The Sloth Sanctuary and Rescue Centre offers fantastic tours that include a facinating up close and personal meeting with the sloths in the centre.

Located 11 kilometers north of Cahuita it is a MUST stop on your trip through Costa Rica.
The Sloth Sanctuary & Rescue Centre