The Singing Lamb

Arauco 779, Puerto Natales, Chile

The Singing Lamb Rates and Deals

The Singing Lamb Puerto Natales Reviews

Vikram Vikram
One of the best hostels I've stayed in, very much like in Iceland or NZ Dec 06, 2015
As the title says, I've often used New Zealand and Iceland hostels as the benchmark when rating hostels and I can safely say this one meets the bar. The minute I saw the name of the hostel, I was thinking in my head that this can only be a good thing! The pictures on the Hostelling International website indicated that this would be the warm cozy hostel yet have the modern amenities today's backpackers and budget travellers need.

So, on arrival at the Puerto Natales bus stop, there's a fairly big map of the town that lists the hotels and hostels around town (more hostels than hotels). So it's quite easy to locate. That said, I'll be a bit picky and say that the hostel wasn't as 'centrally' located as some of the others. By "centrally", I mean close to the one main road in town that houses big arse grocery and adventure stores.

From the time you spot the hostel on the silent suburban road of corrugated tin houses, it calls out for you. The checkin desk is well maintained - they sell loads of last minute things needed for a hike (boy, do they know their clientele!), they can arrange for day trips (although some are fairly expensive, but that's not really their fault. It's the tour operators'). The staff is very friendly, helpful and prompt. They'll help with tour suggestions, calling a cab, etc.

There's luggage storage (self use lockers costing $1 a day or a room for the bigger suitcases), free wifi in all rooms (which, in hindsight is a Chilean luxury considering even hostels in Santiago had awful to zero WiFi in the rooms), free computer kiosk and internet, 3 big lounge areas, self help kitchen and free breakfast. Not only that, they bake cakes in the hostel that they serve for breakfast, and the staff will also make you scrambled egg!

The only 2 areas I'll fault are the beds and the ensuite bathrooms. I've stayed in God knows how many bunker beds but these felt scary - no support, I was always 'awake' in fear that I might fall off. Plus, the ladder was very inconveniently positioned and the steps rather large. Waking up at night to pee was a hassle!

The bathrooms again were mediocre - some didn't have hot water and the water would clog rather easily. Again, not a big showstopper or anything but just a minor inconvenience.

Finally, given that most folks staying here are going to/coming from the W hike and need good sleep, some curtains in the dorms would be nice! Sun sets by 11pm and rises by 430a and the rooms were bright, so many of us suffered from lack of sleep.

Overall though, it's just me being nitpicky. I'd whole-heartedly recommend this place. Infact of the 5 hostels we stayed at for the length of our Chile trip, this is by far our best!
That's the welcoming sign of the h…
The very suburban road where it's …
The reception
BTW, I stayed here too!
Loved this hostel.
Posted on: Jan 10, 2016
EmyG says:
When I saw the name I knew I have to check this review out!
Posted on: Jan 07, 2016

The Singing Lamb Overview

The singing Lamb Backpackers is a new experience in Pto. Natales. It’s very spacious: just recently renovated. We offer free WI-FI, lockers, sheets, towels and very comfortable beds. The house is centrally heated. Our newly appointed kitchen is at your disposal through the day, though I will make breakfast for you, with homemade bread, jams and cereals, all included in our price!We organize and sell bus tickets, excursions and accommodation in Torres Del Paine. This description is based on information provided by the B&B / inn.

The Singing Lamb Amenities