The Sherlock Holmes Museum

020 7224 3688

The Sherlock Holmes Museum London Reviews

andreamylesa andreamy…
Mystery, Intrigue and a whole lot of Fun Aug 02, 2011
I admit that I have never read any Sherlock Holmes mysteries, nor am I keen on any of the British super sleuths but there was something very compelling about the Sherlock Holmes museum.

Located on 221b Baker Street, I waited in line for 20 minutes to enter the 4 story Victorian home dedicated to the infamous fictional detective.

I was enamored by his wooden pipe, the deerstalker cap and long dark coat. Inside the museum was so captivating, with its well maintained rooms. Each one preserved in true Victorian style.

On the first floor you can walk through Holmes and Watsons study. Notebooks, science kits, a fireplace, stuffed birds and chemistry equipment adorn the room.

After checking out the study head up a small staircase to the next floor where you can look inside Watsons bedroom and photograph various paraphernalia from the famous adventure "The Hound of Baskervilles".

The next floor was quite a shock for me as its filled with several wax models posed and arranged to represent memorable and celebrated scenes from the Holmes mysteries. You can find the Man with the Twisted Lip sitting in the middle of the floor, and there is even a head sticking out from the ceiling watching a limp body on the ground below.

The narrow staircase leads all the way to a tiny attic where you can find an old washroom and several tattered and torn suitcases.

The gift shop was marvelous. The pipes were a definite hot seller but the vintage photograph of Holmes in an oak picture frame is what caught my eye.

At only £6 admission and £4 for those under 16yrs, this museum was one of my favorites in London and I hope you enjoy it too.
misseejjay says:
You gave me a real nice impression of the Sherlock Holmes museum. Well written and great pix.
Posted on: Aug 20, 2011
nyprne says:
Great feature. Congratulations!
Posted on: Aug 13, 2011
monky says:
Congrats on this review Andrea very good!
Posted on: Aug 13, 2011
sarahsan sarahsan
Great for Holms fans Nov 26, 2011
Sherlock Holms Museum is located in a Victorian lodging house in 221b Baker Street, the world´s most famous address. According to Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and the stories of the most famous detective, this is where Sherlock Holms and Dr John H. Watson shared a study for over 25 years in which they solved many mysteries. Whether you are into the story of Holms and Watson or not, this is a charming and interesting museum.

The ground floor houses a good gift shop and the ticket office. The first floor depicts Sherlock Holms and Dr Watsons study and Holms bedroom. The second floor have Watsons bedroom as well as Mrs Hudson room. On the top floor there are rooms used as exhibit rooms. At the moment they were showing scenes from different of Holms mysteries. A tiny staircase leads up to the attic where there was an old toilet.

The museum building was built in 1815, and registered as a lodging house from 1860-1935 and therefore represent an authentic lodging house of the period. The house is filled with real Victorian antiques and plenty of them. When I had walked up the 17 steps to Holms study I was amazed at the attention to details. The exhibits from the fireplace to the desk to the deerstalker cap and the pipes on the table were true to the stories. You can also look through literature, paintings, photographs and newspapers from the period.

The resident “Dr Watson” was interesting and had a great knowledge of Arthur Conan Doyles books and the items on display. So was also “Mrs Hudson”.

If you are a keen Sherlock Holms fan this museum is a must, but if you are not interested in his life and mysteries I´m not so sure you will find the Sherlock Holms museum worth a visit.

Open daily from 9:30 am – 6 pm

Admission is £6 for adults and £4 for children (under 16 year)
Sherlock Holms Museum, 221b Baker …
Sherlock Holm´s room
Sherlock Holm´s room
Kinguru Kinguru
Sherlock Holmes Museum Mar 08, 2011
Sherlock Holmes, the most famous detective character on Earth. This museum based on the Baker Street just 5 minutes walking distance from the tube station. Huge sign indicate the entrance. Fairly small museum but it definitely worth to visit. You can get some very nice old style souvenirs as well. :) I loved the host's dress.
Paulianthomas says:
I've always wondered if this museum was worth seeing...
Posted on: Jun 18, 2011

Related Travel Blogs About The Sherlock Holmes Museum

Madame Tussauds, Sherlock Holmes Museum and Trafalgar Square
Funny, as a child, Madame Tussauds was THE attraction of London. It was the only attraction that could even kill my jetlag. When I was planning this trip too, I was half thinking why aren't we doing …Sherlock Holmes museum which IMHO is really boring even for a casual Holmes fan. I know tons of mates back in Dallas that would've killed…
Day nine: Sherlock Holmes Museum
Today we also didn’t had that much to do. Luckily because we were soo tired!  We wanted to go today to the Sherlock Holmes museum. Because of the crowds another day we tried it again today…Museum we went towards Trafalgar square. When arrived we saw some screens and we heard loud music. So we went for a look. We saw that it was a parade…

Check London Hotel Deals