The Shed

(505) 982-9030

The Shed Santa Fe Reviews

rsummo rsummo
A passable dining experience in Santa Fe May 02, 2011
Before coming to Santa Fe, I spent a decent amount of time researching restaurants that would be walking distance from my hotel. I primarily used yelp.com and travbuddy.com to get this done. Interestingly enough, opinions were well split on many of the places, ranging from “overpriced and nothing special with sub-par service” to “If I lived in Santa Fe I’d go here all the time and the service was incredible!” I figured that as with most things, I’d have to take the reviews with a grain of salt, as a reviewer who eats out once a year may find these places magical and top notch, while a reviewer who has had numerous dining experiences across the world’s food-scape may find the very same place bland and ordinary. On the scale I just described, I put myself more on the latter side, for what that is worth, tho of course my review will be just as subjective as anybody’s.

As far as The Shed goes, I am basing my review off of a single dinner experience on April 26th, 2011. The Shed was one of the places that I had read about, fairly well split review-wise, and I am going to add my voice to the chorus of the “so-so’s”. It had a few things going for it, but over all it was an average dining experience and not the sort of place I’d seek out for a second meal, especially given the breadth of choices one finds in Santa Fe. Let me elaborate.

I’ll start on a good note. It was a Wednesday night about 7pm, and there was a 45 minute wait for a table. I took that as a good sign, as I figured only a place worth eating ate would command a 45 minute wait on what seemed like a quiet night around the plaza. The hostesses were attractive and efficient, and certainly polite. My girlfriend and I strolled around the area and window shopped to kill time. We ended up waiting about 55 minutes, but I never have a problem with waiting a little longer if there is a decent bar to occupy my time. The bar area was also pretty packed, and the wait time had jumped up to over an hour by the time we were about to sit.

To get to the dining area you walked through a few charmingly low door frames, which lend to the historical and unique feel of the building. The tables are somewhat close together, not uncomfortably so, but enough so that you are going to be a silent party to every conversation going on around you. Luckily the people sitting around us were interesting and I was able to catch a polite debate about the state of higher education between my own table interactions. If you are looking for a quiet, secluded-type meal where you can have a private conversation, this will not be your cup of tea.

Our servers were enthusiastic and polite. We had one server take our drink and app order, while another explained the specials of the night and took our food order. The menu has a decent selection of New Mexican dishes, and the prices of the entrees ranged from about $11 to $22 – reasonable for the area. We started off with the standard chips, salsa & guacamole and a small zucchini and squash salad. Both were good but not great, though I admit I rarely find chips and salsa that I would describe as amazing. I was mostly just happy to be eating something after almost an hour wait.

For the entrée I went with the Green Chile Burrito. The one thing that stuck in my mind from the reviews I had read was that the chile sauces are honest-to-god spicy, and that you should be prepared for some serious heat. I love spicy foods more than most people I know, so in addition to the green chile sauce that comes with the burrito I requested some red chile sauce on the side. My girlfriend went with the Blue Corn Burritos with the chile sauce only on the side, because medium store-brand salsa makes her uncomfortable. In a very short amount of time, our food was ready and out.

So here is where I lose enthusiasm; I’ll try not to sound overly negative. The chile sauce that was supposedly super spicy turned out to be pretty average. It wasn’t bad, but compared to some of the other chile sauces I had here, it was forgettable. (Café Pasquale’s sauce was far more memorable, to the point my girlfriend wanted to sneak some home so she could reverse-engineer it!) The burrito itself was decent, but only decent. I can think of many places that I have had better for cheaper, and without having to wait so long. It was somewhat bland, and tho it was plated nice and hot, there was nothing particularly interesting about it in any way. My girlfriend enjoyed her blue corn burritos; she thought the tortilla shells were better than others she has had, but again it wasn’t especially great in any way. I think my expectations were a tad high given Santa Fe’s reputation for quality New Mexican food.

The meal was filling, and neither one of us had enough appetite left to try any of the deserts. There were a few items I probably would have tried were I still hungry – the lemon soufflé or the home-made hot fudge Sunday being the most likely candidates. Overall it was a pretty average dining experience. For perfunctory eating it would have been just fine, but given the situation I went away disappointed. Given the number of restaurants in the Santa Fe area, I am not likely to return to the Shed for a while.
Sierra_Jade Sierra_J…
BEST SANTAFEAN FOOD!!!!!!!!! May 16, 2011
This is the best Santa Fe NM food! I call it "SantaFean food" because its not traditional Mexican food but it's more Mexican with a Santa Fe twist! Best chile anywhere I guarantee! Anybody who's somebody knows this is the best place to eat! Great service! FANTASTIC FOOD! and all at amazing unbeatable prices!
LuckyMonkey LuckyMon…
Overpriced dissapointing food and slow to rude service Jan 04, 2009
This restaurant off the Plaza downtown is highly overrated. I have been here twice, a year apart from visits, and I was disappointed, again. This time I won't forget.

I order the posole as it is a tradional new mexico dish and I crave it often. But what I got was some hominy in a chicken broth kind of thing, there was a few bits of meat, I'm assuming pork, and no flavor. This was a togo order and being there were 2 of us I ordered the large for $16. The food came quick but she wasn't able to ring me up very quick, a new system or something. I didn't appreciate the "help" there, unprofessional, slow, and a tad rude to indifferent.

I know you will see TONS of people going here, mostly tourists that don't know any better, but as a resident of New Mexico (finally) I can tell you that the locals I've talked to don't dine here.

Since I believe a criticism demands an alternative, see my review of Los Potrillos.
TYoungTX TYoungTX
Blue Corn, Posole & Margaritas May 17, 2008
Once you have experienced New Mexican cooking at The Shed in Santa Fe, it will be one of those places that you want to return to every time you visit New Mexico. The restaurant is on Palace Avenue, just off the main square in Santa Fe, in one of the historic old haciendas dating back centuries. On a nice day (and most days in Santa Fe are incredibly nice) you can eat on the courtyard patio.

The margaritas here are a must have. The menu has lots of wonderful things to try -- from salads and burgers for the less adventurous, to real New Mexican style cuisine. My favorite entree is the Blue Corn Enchiladas -- two rolled enchiladas made with blue corn tortillas filled with cheese, sprinkled with onions and baked with a spicy red ranchero sauce. Served with pinto beans and posole, it's amazing. Posole is a wonderful side dish made from hominy, a real staple in this area.
The Shed
Blue Corn Enchiladas Plate with pi…

Check Santa Fe Hotel Deals