The Secret Garden

Check Quito Hotel Deals

The Secret Garden Quito Reviews

andrejav andrejav
Secret Garden Sep 16, 2014
Secret Garden Hostel was my Quito meeting point. I was coming with night bus from the coast of Ecuador and my dear friend was going to stay in the Garden, so it was just logical to go there too. Hostel is not in the group of cheap hostels in town, but couple dollars up or down does not always matter.

Bus arrived to the “station” that is basically street sidewalk roughly around the main park (one with observatory). We got there around 6am and it was a bit cold so I desperately went through my bag looking for as many layers of clothing that I can find… After getting a bit warmer, I started walking in the direction of the hostel and I got there in 20 min normal walk. Hostel is located very close to the Mercado central and old city, kind of perfect place a bit away from all happening, but close enough for easy walk to everything. Surrounding is full of hostels and I recognized another place that I stayed at couple years ago.

Secret Garden has 24h security and that guy readily opened door for me after only one knock on the door. It was still very early so he directed me to the roof top which doubles for reception, bar and chill out area. Roof top is some three stories above ground and you get there you’ll need to climb tight and uneven stairs that hug the building. Carrying my backpack over tight staircases was a bit of the challenge but I made it to the top just to learn that there are two sides of the hostel and in order to come from one side to another, you have to go to the top and then go down to another side… I immediately proposed a tunnel on the bottom floor but it was not accepted hehehehe

There was no receptionist at that time in the morning so I just chilled out, checking my mail and enjoying in view and morning coffee. Coffee and tea and complimentary all day long and WiFi is accessible in the most of the hostel. They provide breakfast and dinner for fair price, but I never enjoyed in that food due to incredible options in close proximity. For breakfast and lunch you must go to the Mercado Central that hosts amazing food stalls and good variety of food and drinks.

I stayed in six person dormitory for first night and it was really nice. They have small lockers in the room and bathroom was close and clean. Hot water is always available but there is no too many bathrooms in the building so sometimes you will need to wait a bit because they double for bathroom and shower. Other couple days I got into private room that was nice, but very dark. If you are getting private, don’t do it on the bottom floor.

Hostel is big, lots of people and most of them are hanging on the roof top at night. Beer is available until 10 or so and then you’ll need to buy from the street stores. There is tourist agency in the lobby and they can arrange all kind of trips for you. There is also a laundry place on the bottom floor where you can drop your dirty stuff and they get back to you folded and smelling nice. Ladies there work short hours you try to bring your stuff in the morning.
tiles on the balcony
entrance
grind your own coffee :)
nana01 nana01
Do right by Quito and stay in Old Town! Mar 14, 2011
Hey everyone!

Okay so I did a little tour of South of the Americas and just got back to the states. While I was in Quito, Ecuador I stayed at The Secret Garden. It was my first time in Quito and I wasn't really sure what to expect. I showed up at The Secret Garden at 7 a.m (I took a night bus) and the staff was extremely friendly. They offered me coffee, breakfast, and advice about my future travel plans. We ended up partying it up that night and all left for Colombia the next day. Highly recommend this place!!
yadilitta yadilitta
Great vibe in Old Town - The Secret Garden Jul 13, 2009
I knew that Quito was divided in 2 main areas, Old Town and New Town. I was told I should stay in New Town, but I wanted to spend 1 night in Old Town and I was lucky I found this great place.

This is an old house, which was turned into a hostel It was so weird that the reception was at the terrace and you have to climb 4 floors in order to check in. Trust me, climbing in Quito is something serious, hahaha. Anyway after climbing, you will find complimentary coffee or tea. You can have as much as you want the whole time you are at the hostel.

The price was average to the other hostels. It was located near Parque Itchimbia on a hill. You had a great view of Old Town, but the area is not that safe. At night is better taking a cab.

The place was kept clean and tidy. They have lockers for your stuff too. The bed was comfy, but the highlight - at least in my case - was the view I had from mine. That was breath taking! I was staying at a dorm, but was lucky that the bathroom was inside, yay! And it had a good pressure of water, which was really hot, sweet!

Regarding the loudness, the area is quiet, but they have a restaurant / bar at the terrace and it's always crowded, hehe. Nevertheless, it didn't bother me, maybe because I was hanging out there, hahaha. The view from the terrace is just amazing!!!

And the best here was the vibe! You meet a lot of travelers from all over the world. The staff is very friendly and one of the guys was organizing party tours, lol.

This place would be perfect if it was located in the New Town, but it would loose the charm... nevermind. If you want to stay in a hostel in Old Town, this is the place.

ps: breakfast is not included.
outside the hostel
bar and office
colorful walls
nice dorm
yadilitta says:
but it should be revealed :)
Posted on: Aug 13, 2009
huibdos says:
Now you blew their secret:)
Posted on: Aug 13, 2009
finchley finchley
Dec 29, 2007
Simply the best place to stay - cool crew, wifi, great views, right in old city

Related Travel Blogs About The Secret Garden

tops & flops
best beer: beer lao, laosbest beach: ko phi phi leybest mainland beach: hoi an, vietnambest city: tokyobest country: japanbest language: finnishbest nightclub: ministry of sound, singaporebest women:…secret garden, quito best airline: qantas best pickpockets: ecuador best people watching spot: khao san road, bangkok best wifi coverage…
Quito: Arriving, The Secret Garden and Spanish Lessons
Its fair to say that we really didnt know what to expect when we first landed in Quito and its also fair to say that we underestimated the language barrier. We arrived at our hostel, the now "very f…Quito and its also fair to say that we underestimated the language barrier. We arrived at our hostel, the now "very famous" Secret Garden
Cotopaxi (Freaking out!! Nicole=Zero fitness)
So we decide to head out of the city and cruise out to Secret Garden Cotopaxi for a bit of Rest and Relaxing... we were wrong!! We caught the "taxi" from the Secret Garden Hostel in Quito, Ecuador..…Secret Garden Hostel in Quito, Ecuador.. Barney and I decided to sit in the back of the F truck…

Check Quito Hotel Deals