The Sanctuary

The Sanctuary Reviews

flyingfreedomxx flyingfr…
Affordable Heavenly Retreat For Peaceful Time-Out Jan 16, 2011
"Eco-lodge" "Tranquil Haven In The Rainforest" In my early twenties after too many youth hostels to mention around Australia I craved peace and quiet, a room of my own and a place to ponder my thoughts, silence my mind and relax completely. I found this at The Sanctuary at Mission Beach. I stayed in a double room, but I wouldn't so much call it a room. It was a very outdoor room, a double bed and meshed walls, with curtains to pull closed for privacy and the evenings. And wait for it, this room was in the rainforest. Absolutely blissful setting, I had a lovely deck area overlooking the forest and for someone who at the time was scared of spiders and creepy crawlies this space made me feel totally safe. It felt like being in the forest yet protected. The bed was so comfortable and hearing toads after it rain all through the forest is an experience to behold. The people who run the Sanctuary are peaceful and laidback lovely people. They offer yoga and the food is divine, organic, beautiful ingredients. When I stayed there was only me and two other staying in private outside space and it was the most relaxing time of my whole trip. A great selection of music to listen to in the longhouse (Morcheeba, Moby etc etc.. total chill out). The balcony overlooking the rainforest canopy teemed with beautiful blue butterflies and I saw the occasional tree frog on the window to the eating area. When I was there we were offered an evening walk through the rainforest which was truly magical. All in all I would say this is a beautiful retreat.

I dont drive so I pretty much stayed on site at the time or made the short walk down to the beach which had outstanding sunsets. Check out the website you will not be disapointed, especially if you are on a low budget but would like a bit of privacy from a dorm room for a few nights. Enjoy!
The Sanctuary Map