The Saddlers House

Check Derry Hotel Deals

The Saddlers House Derry Reviews

hanleyscot hanleysc…
Not Many Places I wouldn't Stay at Again. This is One of Them. May 28, 2016
Disclaimer: I wrote about this on an entry of my European Blog. So, if you've already ready that, you can probably skip this review.

After not being able to check-in to The Angel House B&B that I booked earlier in the day, a kind neighbor directed us to The Saddlers House which was only a couple of blocks away. We really appreciated his kindness. He even called The Saddler House for us to see if there were any vacancies.

Upon arrival a few minutes later at The Saddlers House we were promptly chastised for arriving so late in the evening. Umm...you just agreed to let us stay there a few minutes earlier. Remember that phone conversation you just had? If it was such a problem, you should've just said there were no rooms available and went about your business. We would've been just as happy going elsewhere. If you don't want my money, I'm perfectly ok with spending it where it is appreciated.

It just went downhill from there.

For approximately the next 20 minutes we had to endure listening to her brag about how amazing her B&B was and that Rick Steves loved it there. Seriously...if she had mentioned his name one more time I was going to put a bullet in my head. Name dropping is pathetic. If I had been in possession of a flashlight I would have handed it to her. She was so far up Rick Steves' ass that I was afraid she would not be able to find her way out without some assistance.

We were also lectured on how she was too far above things like the internet. You could not book a reservation with them online. It had to be in person. And we were heathens for doing it any other way. Lady, just because you haven't figured out how to get the 12:00 to stop blinking on your VCR doesn't mean the rest of us can't live in the here and now.

The accommodations themselves were decent. Nothing that excited me. I'm guessing that it reflected exactly what you would expect from an elderly Irish woman. No complaints on the cleanliness. The location is fine. It's within a few blocks of several restaurants and bars. Breakfast the next morning was decent. Well, the food was. Not the conversation.

Next morning, the insults continued. They were mostly directed to me since I'm from the U.S. and we're all classless buffoons. I'm paraphrasing but at some point we were simply cavemen for eating jelly instead of marmalade. Ummm...whatever.

After biting my tongue long enough, I explained that there was a limit to how much pretentiousness I was willing to tolerate. And then I walked away.

In summation, if you like to spend your money on being insulted...The Saddler House is for you.

I would never stay there again.
Ils1976 says:
not in Belgium I am afraid ... had to "google" him and now I know more! :D
Posted on: May 30, 2016
hanleyscot says:
I'm surprised you haven't heard of him. He's a pretty famous travel author and television personality.
Posted on: May 29, 2016
Ils1976 says:
maybe I am weird coz I have never heard of the infamous Rick Steves, but if I am in front of such a person ... I have more than enough urge to say ... SAYONARA ... how rude can you be!!!!
Posted on: May 29, 2016