The Rugglestone Inn

Widecombe in the Moor, England

The Rugglestone Inn Widecombe in the Moor Reviews

davidx davidx
Uncle Tom Cobley and gang come to mind. Nov 30, 2010
Widecombe is widely known for the song, Widecombe Fair, sometimes described as the national anthem of Devon. Believe it or not, when I was about seven, I had a book of the song with pictures and I was scared stif of Tom Pearce's old mare and her rattling old bones appearing ghastly white. For some years I always had an excuse for not going to Widecombe.

When you do go there, the pub that you wil notice is the Old Inn. I don't know how old an inn has to be before it ceases to be a New Inn and becomes an Old Inn but this was the 'New Inn' last time I was there! Anyway I have nothing against it (some reviews I have read have been highly critical) but it is definitely worth taking the time to find the other pub, The Rugglestone Inn - which is a real gem.

Real ales come direct from the barrel in a pub a bit like a house, where you would not be surprised if your drinking neighbour introduced himself as Dan'l Whiddon or Harry Hawk. Actually I found the regulars very friendly the second time I went and they had clearly taken in everything about me on my first visit, when I was probably the only stranger on a filthy evening.

Don't worry about that equine ghost - I'd bet you will not see it but the church, known as The Cathedral of the Moors for its 120 foot tower and the Rugglestone are worth a number of visits.

Compare Newton Abbot Hotel Rates (14.6km away)

The Rugglestone Inn Map