The Royal Oak

Infirmary Street, Edinburgh, United Kingdom

The Royal Oak Edinburgh Reviews

sarahelaine sarahela…
The Royal Oak Oct 03, 2008
The Royal Oak is a pub just outside the city centre in Edinburgh. It is dark, has few chairs, and no trendy drinks at all. None of this is important.

I'm told that it is one of the best places in Edinburgh to hear folk music, adn I can believe it. I spent a very happy evening there wedged in the corner listening to a group of people with guitars. The atmosphere is very, very informal; no pretentiousness at all. People floated in and out, people's friends turned up with guitars adn the original singers wandered off for cigarettes outside, and the whole bar joins in with the choruses of the traditional ones. The people in on the night I was in had fantastic voices.

There was no cover charge when I went; if anyone better known is playing I expect a few quid might be asked, but not often. There is a tin on the bar for putting tips for the musicians in, and given that they're friends with the bar staff I'm sure that putting drinks by is a good idea. Beer prices (including the always excellent Deuchars IPA)are average for the area, and I think there is food in the daytime.

Related Travel Blogs About The Royal Oak

Running away part 1
Photos to follow - I seem to have lost my camera cable!I'm not going to explain why I needed a strategic retreat to the North, but when I need a strategic retreat, it's Edinbsurgh I retreat too. …Royal Oak.  I had never been, because back when I lived in Edinburgh, I could never get my friends…

Check Edinburgh Hotel Deals