The Royal Mews

020 7766 7302

The Royal Mews London Reviews

Vikram Vikram
This is the real highlight of Buckingham Palace! Oct 27, 2012
I'm actually surprised I'd never visited this place before even after all these years! The one time I tried visiting it back in 2006, it was closed and since then I just kept dragging it forever. Well, time came a calling, and off I went in.

As you walk in, there's a security check and you get a free audio guide. It's at the very basic level, a place where the royal carriages are stored. So if royalty isn't your thing, I suggest you avoid this place altogether. But I was suitably impressed by the history of each of the carriages, particularly the one given to the Queen by Australia. I like how they keep reminding us that this place isn't just a museum, but a working place. Both by the hourses at the entrance as well as telling us time and again that the rooms on the 1st floor belong to people who are employed.

For me, the highlight was the last room with a golden carriage; the carriage has paintings, and just absolutely stunning.

I would suggest you earmark about 1 hour here (not more) to carefully see each of the exhibits as, trust me, they ARE stunning!
The painting on one of the carriag…
Model of the carriage
Model of the carriage and horses
close up of the model horse
rsvpme says: usual stunning....I like the way you find the real places.
Posted on: Dec 22, 2012
sarahsan says:
Lovely review Vikram! Definitely a place to visit!
Posted on: Dec 22, 2012