The Royal Botanic Gardens (Inverlieth)

Inverleith, Edinburgh, United Kingdom

The Royal Botanic Gardens (Inverlieth) Edinburgh Reviews

sarahelaine sarahela…
The Botanics Jul 05, 2008
I am a huge fan of the Botanics. I know you didn't come to Edinburgh for the gardens, but they are really well worth a trip.

The botanics are in Inverleith, a short bus ride from the town centre. Admission is free, but you have to pay to go in the greenhouses. Last time I went it was about £3.50 for students, and I think it's well worth it.

The gardens are well laid out, and there are areas dedicated to the uses of Scottish Plants, an American bit, some pagodas, and lots of streams. It is very quiet even when full, and if you were feeling so inclined, probably quite a romantic place for a date. There are certainly enough flowers about!

There are often art displays in the buildings, especially Inverleith House. Last time I went there was an installation that played music depending on how moist the plants were and how many visitors were walking past.

The greenhouses are full of palms, orchids, and an impressive patch of cactii covered desert with - weirdly - a statue of two frogs. There is a place to buy good icecream adn the inevitable gift shop is actually quite interesting

Brilliant.
davidx says:
I was particularly impressed by the rock garden.
Posted on: Jul 14, 2010
jojostevie jojostev…
Not for me maybe for you tho Nov 24, 2008
As this is just down the road from myself easy to get to. It free to get into the gardens and however there is a charge for going into the actual greenhouses. I wouldn't take kids here as they would (in my opinion get bored easily). If you are interested in horticulture or gardening you will love this place. The greenhouses are full of tropical plants and little ponds which are lovely.

The outside gardens has lovely walks and I'm not sure if there are anymore however loads of squirrels so take some nuts just incase and you can feed them.

There are exhibitions held here so take a look at the website to find if there's anything on that would take your fancy.

And its open all year round.

Check Edinburgh Hotel Deals