The Rock Tour

78 Todd Street, Alice Springs, Australia - (08) 8953 1008

The Rock Tour Alice Springs Reviews

outofvegas outofveg…
great way to see ayres rock (uluru) from alice springs in a day Apr 04, 2011
Took the emu run tour to uluru (ayres rock). This was an all day tour leaving early in morn and returning late the same evening. The motor coach was very nice and comfortable. Started in the morn with juice, breakfast snack bar and fruit filled pastrie. They provide a nice picnic lunch, sandwich which was very fresh. The two guide on board were kevin and tic. These guys were very personable and knowlegdeable. With a good mix of information and jokes made for a great day. At ayres rock they provided a great grilled dinner with wine. This was served on dishes and glasswear, no paper plates here. On the way back a movie was played and then some quiet time to nap. I go on many coach tours and this one i have to say was the best. If i ever return to alice spring i will go again. I don't think you will be disappointed with this tour company.
emu run tours coach to uluru natio…
kata tjuta (aboriginal for many he…
uluru national park (ayres rock). …
applewoman applewom…
The Rock Tour... what an adventure! Dec 20, 2010
We visited Kings Canyon, Kata Tjuta and Uluru with ‘The Rock Tour’, a 3-day trip. The Rock Tour is all about adventure. Don’t expect any luxury at all... none!!!

Our guide, Felix, was great. He wanted to get to know the people on his tour so we had to put our name on the window and tell something about ourselves, lot’s of fun!

The group was between 20 and 30 years old, so definately a tour for young travellers. I’m 37 and my son was 9... I was the oldest and my son the youngest. Only child also. It’s not really a family tour but my son and I loved it anyway.

The first day you spend a lot of time on the bus cause it’s a long drive from Alice Springs. Two stops the first day: a camel farm and Kings Canyon. We had a camel ride. Truthfully not worth a penny. You don’t spend more then 3 minutes on the camel to go in a circle and pay $ 10 per person.

Kings Canyon is a huge canyon. Normally you can take a walk up to the canyon but cause it was rainy, it was too dangerous. So we went on a nice hike through the canyon.

On our way to our first camp we stopped to collect wood. An activity my son loved doing.

The camp site was really primitive. Felix, our guide, made us a campfire and cooked dinner on it. Dinner was a chilli con carne. Not large class, but it tasted anyway. On this tour you literally sleep under a night sky. At the campsite there is just a few metres with a stretched canvas where we all slept cause it was a cloudy night. Luckily for us it didn’t start raining. There was no washroom and no real toilet. Change clothes you had to do in the bus.

On this tour you have to bring your sleeping bag cause you sleep in a swag (= a canvas sleeping bag). Put on a lot of clothes (with us, it was winter!!!), go into your own sleeping bag and then into the swag... We slept fabulous!

The next day we saw an amazing sun rise and had another stop to collect wood for the next camp fire. We stopped at the seconde camp site to have a shower. There was not a lot of time to do so. From there we went to Kata Tjuta. First the look out, then a long walk through the Valley of the Winds. Very, very beautiful! Felix gave us a lot of information too. Time for lunch then.

Afterwards we visited the Aboriginal Cultural Centre. You can read a lot of info on the walls and there’s also an art gallery and souvenir shop.

From there we went to Uluru for the short Mala Walk. First Felix gave us a lecture about the Aboriginal people and their believes. We had dinner at the sunset lookout. It was magical to have dinner and see the sunset with Uluru in the background.

We talked at campfire and spent the night under the stars around the fire.

Early rise again to see the sunrise with Uluru in the background. We even got to see a rainbow... how magical is that. We had breakfast at that spot.

After breakfast we went to Uluru again to have the base walk around Uluru. Quiet a long walk. Respect the Aborigines and DON’T CLIMB Uluru.

After lunch we had a long drive ahead back to Alice Springs. We ended up having a flat tire as well. The adventure was complete!

We had a brief stop at Fink River and then it was straight to Alice Springs.

We organized to meet again in The Rock Bar to have dinner with our group. This dinner was not included in the tour price.

I highly recommend this tour when you love adventure, want to get to know new people and don’t mind to have no luxury at all. It’s more a youth tour cause all the travellers are twenties. The price is very reasonable: $295 breakfast, lunch, dinner and drinking water included. No extras!

Some disadvantages:

- With a kid I noticed that I had to hurry all the time. The other had to fold one sleeping bag and one swag... I had to do two of both. In the washroom I had to make sure my son was in time ready... there was always a time limit. A very tight one!!! So that was hard! That’s why I won’t recommend the tour for small children. My son is 9 and that was the limit and even then it was hard.

- When you want to relax and take time for pictures... well, there is no time. We were last all the time, just because I wanted to take time to make a lot of photographs... the other travellers didn’t... a pity?! So when you want to see Kata Tjuta and Uluru at pace, choose another tour.
The Rock Tour, a lot of fun!
Lasseter Highway
Kings Canyon Creek walk in the rain
petit_gooroo petit_go…
The Rock Tour rocks! Dec 13, 2009
Because it was the cheapest with good reviews on Internet, I chose to discover the Northern Territory of Australia with The Rock Tour. I booked the 3 day tour for 290$ (Uluru park entry to add – 25$), including Kings Canyon, the Olgas and Uluru, all meals and 2 nights sleeping in swags under the stars.

I more than recommend this tour, if you like walking (around 8 km a day) and do not look for luxury!

It was way over my expectations for that price. Many other tours do the same itinerary, and people I met from other tours seemed all to have enjoyed it. From my point of view, I more than enjoyed it. Landscapes were amazing, there was enough food and it was good, the weather was not as hot as it can get… But the must was our guide, Sam. He really made the trip special for many of us. He is fun, we could talk a lot with him, he shares very well his knowledge, and he sets a great atmosphere... He could talk a bit about the fauna and flora, geology and climate, history of the places… But what I loved the most is when he explained us a bit of the Aborigines’ culture, told us stories we all listened as little kids… and he also had a very smart and open speech about problems Australia has faced and is still facing. Listening to him and talking about it really opened my mind. It really touched me and made sense to many things I saw and heard in Australia. I have been lucky to join a great group, I got on well with many of them and I am looking forward to meeting them again. I saw unique places, had funny experiences and learnt so much in 3 days!

Before this tour, I regretted a bit not to have the time to go around places with my own van/car. Now, even if the adventure is not the same of course and I would love to live both. But I really do not regret signing in for a tour: having a guide makes the place different, really.

Again, this tour was much more than just going to magnificent places.

Related Travel Blogs About The Rock Tour

The Rock Tour: back to Alice Springs!
On the way back to Alice Springs, our last stop was at the Camel Farm. For 5$, we could ride a camel for few minutes. As I had never experienced it, it was the opportunity to try. I got so scared, … On the way back to Alice Springs, our last stop was at the Camel Farm. For 5$, we could ride…
37 and smokey!
G'day all!  I know it's been awhile since I last updated and I've gotten flack from a few of you saying you were worried.  No worries peeps - I'm still here trucking along.  Becau…Alice Springs and to Ayers Rock on a 10 day bus tour thing leaving on Dec 26th.  From there…

Check Alice Springs Hotel Deals