The Rock Cafe

Sukra Path, Kathmandu, Nepal

The Rock Cafe Kathmandu Reviews

kayguarnay kayguarn…
This place should be called 'The Greenhouse View' Sep 26, 2014
Came here for a "late lunch" or "early dinner" so we basically had the place to ourselves.

This is a really nice rooftop restaurant that overlooks part of Durbar Square. They have nice umbrellas that shield you from the elements and the seating areas are semi private because of lots and lots of potted plants. It's kind of like sitting in a greenhouse.

I overall quite liked this restaurant. They got a point knocked off for the ridiculously sweet lassi I had. I asked for a plain lassi and somehow they always assume that "non-Asians" want a pound of sugar with that! This was the second sugary lassi I drank today, and needless to say I wasn't pleased.

Our server was a very nice guy. It was his 2nd month working there, so he couldn't comment too much on the facility or experience yet. Overall I was really glad he didn't attempt to constantly chat with us in English and was very patient with my Nepali. He did hang around listening to us talk so that I almost wanted to include him in our conversation. Very sweet guy. He asked me for my number, but I didn't give it to him saying that it is very expensive to call the US, and I don't have a local number. I give this place 4.5 stars for the fact that they didn't make me feel like a tourist (which I hate) and their food (Alex had chicken pizza) and I had dudh ciya were very tasty.

Overall, if you are in Basantapur, this place deserves a visit if you can figure out how to get to the top through the winding hotel staircases!

2 points if you make it through all 3 stairwells :-)

Check Kathmandu Hotel Deals