The Rainbow Cactus

3472 Holland Rd Virginia Beach, Virginia Beach, VA, USA

The Rainbow Cactus Virginia Beach Reviews

lulusartshack lulusart…
Dancing and drag Mar 10, 2008
The Rainbow Catus is one of 3 "clubs" in the Norfolk/Va Beach area, where people actually ... dance! (what a concept! dancing at a club!) It's a gay/drag club, with a varied crowd and and several "theme" nights. Thursdays they have line dancing, Saturdays is more of a "ladies" night, and Sunday is "Wet 'n Wild."

I mostly went on Sundays for the "Wet 'n Wild," contest which I promise, is probably a lot more harmless than whatever image you have in your head. Basically, about 5 volunteers from the audience get "auctioned" off in their underwear, and the winner gets to throw a bucket of water on them. They are also "judged" by several people, and the winner gets $100. All the money raised through the "auctioning" goes to charity, and the results are usually more funny than sexy. My husband actually volunteered once and won!

The drag show is pretty good, sometimes they have guest drag queens as well. One of the ladies, Jasmine Saville, is a crowd favorite, and I believe she was recently on "RuPaul's Drag Race." (she freaks me out a little cause she looks like one of my aunts! haha... but I guess that means she's doing a good job!)

The bar is something to be desired, mostly cheap liquors, a few cheap beers, and a bottle of El Jimador behind lock and key, NOTHING high (or mid) end. Watch out though... they make their drinks STRONG! There's a bar menu of fried stuff (french fries, chicken fingers, fried cheese...) as well, and it's best to just avoid it unless you're completely drunk or starving.

There's also a $3-$10 cover charge, depending on the night. There's also a strict, slightly ridiculous "no photos" policy, if the bouncer catches you taking pictures he/she will come over and get on your case. So if you're going to take pics, don't get caught!

It's a fun, laid-back place, and while some of the "straight" guys might be a little intimidated, I would definitely recomend it to the ladies! It's one of the few places in town where I could go, drink, dance, have a good time and I wasn't harrased by men OR women.

Check Virginia Beach Hotel Deals