The Queens Head Hotel

80 West Street, Tavistock, United Kingdom
The Queens Head Hotel - Comfy Bed
The Queens Head Hotel - Frontage
The Queens Head Hotel - Good work area and plenty of closet space.
The Queens Head Hotel - Bathroom
The Queens Head Hotel - Stylish Fittings

Check Tavistock Hotel Deals

The Queens Head Hotel Tavistock Reviews

johngayton johngayt…
Surprisingly Classy Nov 21, 2017
I had a little job to do in Tavistock, which required an overnight stay and ended up at the Queens Head. This was formerly Browns Hotel, where I'd enjoyed several excellent lunches in the past, and had recently been taken over by the J D Wetherspoon pub company. Wetherspoon's is a large, highly successful business with over 1,000 pubs around the UK and Ireland. The company specialises in taking over interesting buildings and converting them, admittedly quite tastefully, into mass-market eating and drinking establishments - I still don't call them pubs.

Despite my preference for traditional pubs I have always found Wetherspoons useful when travelling - cheap eats, especially breakfasts, and the free Wi-Fi is usually spot-on, but I'd never stayed in one of their hotels. I wasn't quite sure what to expect.

As it turned out this is quite a classy hotel - in its previous incarnation as Browns that was classy too and so what Wetherspoons have done is simply retouch things, adding a few modern, stylist bits, whilst retaining much of the original character. My room was spacious, nice comfy bed, everything spotlessly clean, perfect and easy to access Wi-Fi. Check-in and check-out were done via the bar with friendly staff on both occasions and whilst the food offering is the Wetherspoons pub stuff, there's nothing wrong with that - and yes the breakfast was, as expected, eggsellent ;-LOL

Not particularly cheap: I should note - my overnight stay cost £75.05, room only (obviously the accountancy team reckoned they needed that extra 5 pence) but for the area that wasn't too hefty and would have been the same if there'd been two of me - HA!
Frontage
Comfy Bed
Stylish Fittings
Bathroom
HORSCHECK says:
John, congrats on your featured review. Well done. - If I remember correctly, so far I have never really visited a Wetherspoon Pub, except for their facilities. *blush*
Posted on: Nov 24, 2017
Paulovic says:
Congrats on your featured review!
Posted on: Nov 24, 2017
planxty says:
Hi mate,

great to hear from you again.

I was really sorry to miss the "Vikings", both of whom I love for obvious reasons as they are such nice people. I'd love to go to Iceland as I have only seen the inside of Keflavik airport en route to Canada once but, whilst I am not a pauper, I reckon the budget will just not stretch to it as the place is so expensive.

I used to regularly take breakfast in the HH as it was open even earlier than most JDW places and never had anything less than a brilliant meal. I am sure that is their biggest selling period in that place and it is a great people watching spot, to boot.

I am not sure about getting their act together regarding staffing levels, at least in my local, but they are certainly friendly enough. Tim Martin, who I admire greatly, has got his business model together and I think he does it rather well.

Shame it might be a while until we hook up again but I am hardly in London myself any more. I have been on the road for over six months of this year already and have an imminent trip to Sri Lanka in the planning. Apparently our mutual fiend Claus is going to be down there for a few months. I shall certainly think about coming down your way as it is far too long since we narrowly avoided trouble together.

Speak soon.