The Queen Mary

www.queenmary.com - (562) 435-3511

The Queen Mary Long Beach Reviews

X_Drive X_Drive
Lost its glow! Jun 26, 2008
Since her retirement from service in 1967 this beautiful ship has been permanently docked in Long Beach and is now a hotel and museum. It has had little success in being the tourist attraction Long Beach was hoping she would be. And from 1980 through 1993 Howard Hughes’s airplane, the “Spruce Goose” was housed on display near by in the dome you see in the picture.

There are many myths and stories around the Queen Mary, including those of ghosts that haunt below decks. But much of the area where crew and engine rooms were have been changed to accommodate the addition of the museum. Today the hotel rooms range from $125 to near $700 per night. I have not stayed here myself but a close friend did and would never do it again.
tvillingmarit says:
And what a tourist attraction
Posted on: Jun 26, 2008
hannajax hannajax
Apr 24, 2006
Ihad an exceptional experience touring the queen mary, a once decadent cruise liner that had its maiden voyage in 1936, and was later used to transport troops in WWII in 1939-1949. Queen Mary was larger than Titanic and had a passenger capacity of approx. 2000. Imagine our surpise when we read that in 1943 it carried 15,740 troops plus 943 crew members. (great shortage of life boats!) The ship is permanently docked in long beach. it is now a hotel, boasting restaurants, observation bar, clubs, and a self guided tour museum above the promenade decks. we spent hours walking through exhibits of the state rooms, gymnasiums, infirmaries, captain's quarters, steward's room, kitchens, and the bunks where soldiers later shared 16 to a room. what an amazing journey!

This is not only a destination for the tourist and history buff, but also a hotel with restaurants and lots of entertainment! the one thing i did not get to do, is go on the ghost tour, which i know i will have to return for in the future.
picture taken from terragalleria.c…
PrissyT says:
I've been there a couple of times for Halloween. The spookiest place, I thought, was the pool...it just looked eerie!
Posted on: Apr 29, 2008
sdbleve says:
I also grew up in the area. Alas the Spruce Goose is no longer in the dome next to the Queen. It moved up to Oregon years ago.

Every Feb there is a Scottish festival at the Queen. I find it fun to go up and spend the night onboard and attend the events. It is amazing to have the ship to yourself at night when most of the crowds have left. There are a couple different tours to go on. I want to take my kids up for the Ghost tour.
Posted on: Dec 12, 2006
X_Drive says:
I grew up about ten miles from there. Once I snuck onboard and did a rather behind the scenes tour. A pretty amazing ship turned hotel. When I did it Howard Hughes wooden plane was displayed there also.
Posted on: Jun 30, 2006

Related Travel Blogs About The Queen Mary

Back to the LBC and Sushi with Alice!
Back in Long Beach and we checked back in "our" same room at the Coast Hotel.  Absolutely love the view from this room...it's a wonderful view of the Long Beach Harbor, Queen Mary, and the outly…Long Beach Harbor, Queen Mary, and the outlying oil islands that are lit up at night. After settling in, we got ready…
The Road to Johnny's
  While in Vietnam last February I read a review on TravBuddy that Liz (Quest) had written about a bar in Huntington Beach called Johnny's. Around midnight each Thursday, the granite bar-top i…Long Beach, then missed a turn - which placed us in the Queen Mary parking lot. That small blunder turned out to be a pleasant…
Review: 4 Star Accomodations at a Hostel Price!
If you happen to be in the Orange County area, check out "Angel's House" for your accomodation needs.  There are several rooming options from the great loft with separate office below, or the tw…Long Beach and the Queen Mary area and it's time to take him back.  After leaving them, I felt…

Check Long Beach Hotel Deals