The Point Hostels Puno

Check Puno Hotel Deals

The Point Hostels Puno Reviews

simsing simsing
Basic hostel in Puno Sep 29, 2012
I stayed in Point Puno just for one night in my Peru trip. The hostel is very close to Plaza de Armas (city center) in Puno and has a market place nearby. Buying food, groceries and souvenirs were very easy. Even though my stay was very brief I took a stroll around the area in the night and liked it a lot.

The staffs of this hostel (especially Jacqueline) were very nice. Upon arrival they will show you around the hostel and take you to the room. On the first floor they have reception, kitchen, dining area, computers, pool table and a bar. It’s a vibrant hostel which is ideal for meeting other fellow travelers. I chose a 4 bed ensuite female dorm but ended up having the whole room to myself.

The bedrooms are not so well decorated but everything was pretty clean which matters the most to me. The shower had good flow of hot water which is essential in the cold weather of Puno. Each room has its own name in some native language (probably Quechua or Aymara). Even though I had a key for my dorm the lock didn’t work i.e. the room was unlocked all the time but they had small lockers for the valuables so it was ok.

The kitchen was very tiny but it serves the purpose. You can buy some of the food items or drinks from them. I remember of buying an egg for S/1, to make an omlette. They have wi-fi but it wasn’t working for my laptop either because of its low strength or because it was raining outside so I used their computer to get online. The hostel serves breakfast but I left very early next morning to catch a ‘Route to the Sun’ tour and missed that.

In the night it was raining and the room was very cold. I had to wear sweater and woolen cap and totally cover myself with the blanket to get some sleep. I am not sure if this is normal in Puno to not to have any heating system because the building wasn’t even structured well-sealed to run a heating system. Apart from this temperature issue I had a very nice time here. If you find hostels with heating system then choose those but if none of them has it then this is a very nice place to stay.
The hostel signboard
Reception area
Beds
Beds
simsing says:
Yeah, I noticed that in Cuzco too. But the weather was warmer than Puno so I didn't have any problem.
Posted on: Sep 30, 2012
Vikram says:
Cold nights in a hostel can be a pain. Ask me, I wrote the book on it!
Posted on: Sep 29, 2012
simsing says:
Thank you for the kind words!
Posted on: Sep 29, 2012