The Pod Hotel

The Pod Hotel Rates and Deals

The Pod Hotel New York Reviews

Maevum Maevum
Boutique Hotel in Midtown Manhattan Dec 14, 2012
Bellhop is nonexistent; building appears to be converted from some other usage; cheap toiletries; check-in and check-out were very fast; clientele ranges from young solo travelers to mid-age couples; easy access to public transportation; elevators are small and on the slow side; floor layouts are narrow; lobby is clean and modern; iPads in the lobby are a nice touch; pricing and design are the main selling points; rooms feel cramped; shared bathrooms are clean but a little too small with no place to put clothing/towels/toiletries; walls are thin.
paulaga paulaga
The Pod Hotel - NYC Feb 04, 2012
This is the first time I've stayed in a boutique hotel and just loved it. The staff was great, it was very clean. The rooms are tiny but we expected that. This is a great little place for the cost. I highly recommend it.

Our reservation was actually for queen size and we would have to share the bathrooms on the floor but when we arrived they put us in a room with bunk beds and a private bath. The room was small but it was perfect since were out all day and would only come back to shower and sleep.

I would definitely stay there again.
maddy500 maddy500
High Style Pod for the Budget Conscious NYC Traveler Mar 09, 2011
I started staying at The Pod Hotel when it was undergoing renovation and still called The Pickwick Arms (mid early 2000s ? I think). Unfortunately, I haven’t been back yet to see the fully finished lobby/lounge. Yet this aside, I think I can still attest it’s a highly memorable pod hotel whose unfortunately small room size is well compensated by its great location, clean, well laid out rooms and cheerfully stylish modern décor for the tourist or traveler who doesn’t want to spend a lot of time in their room.

The Midtown East location is about a block, or half a block from the subway, convenience store, pharmacy, or deli, sandwich, coffee, and bagel stops and restaurants. All of which is helpful if you need to run out quick to get some water/drinks, food, aspirin, or to grab something as you start your day. Best of all, it’s within walking distance of Grand Central Station, Central Park, St. Patrick’s, Times Square, Fifth Ave, and etc. I found it ideally located as I walked and explored everywhere by foot. Even heading out or coming back to the hotel late at night from a show or (comedy) club, I felt perfectly safe, although the cliché that one should always be careful still applies. That said, the negative is Midtown is a noisy bustling area, with a lot of ambient traffic noise; however, I expected no less and I was so tired at night I don’t remember it being a problem.

Despite the great location for tourists, if you’re claustrophobic, or small space averse and want to spend a lot of time in your hotel, I don’t recommend you stay here. Expect small, think small with style, and you won’t be disappointed or surprised. Each time I’ve stayed there I’ve chosen either the double or queen size room with it’s own private bathroom. However, even with this larger room option, if you have a lot of luggage, or buy a lot of things during your trip, and don’t store things well during your stay, it can get messy and cramped quite easily. A pod is still a pod even when they call it a queen. Bathrooms are near and dear to my heart, and these are literally a highly functional closet/bathroom with a space-saving sliding glass door, small toilet, rain showerhead, and a tiny stainless steel sink. And the shower doors if I remember correctly (it’s been awhile) have both a frosted and clear glass door parts revealing or hiding toilet or shower depending on how you close them, so umm possible high entertainment, and partner tidiness, familiarity, etc. is important in a pod :).

In addition to great design, the rooms have always been pristinely clean and well kept, although maybe I just caught the hotel in its happy, shiny new stage? But still, despite it’s small size I found the cute clean rooms with flat wall mounted TV’s highly enjoyable to come back to for a few hours to relax the weary, aching feet, and send off a few emails with the hotel’s free WIFI. Supposedly, the hotel has a bar/restaurant, rooftop garden lounge but I’ve never used it. I’ve always just wanted to get out of the construction zone that was their ground floor. In my comings and goings, I’ve found the other guests to be European/international, generally youngish, although with some range in ages, and a few families here and there. A big thumbs up. But, it’ll be nice to see some more reviews of a finished hotel from the past year.
Eric says:
Thanks for the thorough review!
Great Value for the Location Mar 08, 2011
The Pod Hotel is a true treasure of New York City, NY. It is perfect for shoppers and for those who want to visit the sites of New York. The Pod is a very mod style hotel that utilizes clean lines in their decorating. If you opt for a pod bunk style room, the room has two beds, 2 lcd tv screens beside each bunk bed and a face sink. The bathrooms are in the hallway and a little light above the door notifies you of whether or not the bathroom is occupied. The bathrooms are cleaned every hour by the staff and they are immaculate. I normally have hotel issues, I am a princess traveler, but this time I felt at ease using the bathrooms. The bedroom was super clean as well. They also have wi-fi throughout the hotel.

Location: The pod is about two blocks east of Lexington Ave and Fifth Avenue. So for those of you who are looking to shop on Fifth Ave, fear not, its only a short walk. There were also lots of food spots within a short walking distance.

I think I'll stay at the pod each time I visit NYC. Its Midtown location is perfect for me.

Check out the website at:
maddy500 says:
Maybe, we should both do a review on Lion King lol.
maddy500 says:
I saw it! It was good, but I don't know I guess I thought it would be a little better. But then, I compare everything to Les Miserables and Phantom.
StephAAMU says:
Me too. I love it! I'll probably go to NYC in mid-May, haven't officially decided yet. I still haven't seen the Lion King on Broadway.
quirkworks quirkwor…
Snug but creative May 13, 2011
I enjoyed staying here. Tired from walking so much, I just needed a place to crash and this place was perfect for that. It was reasonable, clean and although you can 'share' bathrooms for a lower rate I chose not to. My 'pod' had a bathroom. The room was creatively designed and I was impressed by that. Being used to large spaces I was amazed how one could lay out a room into a small and useful space. I found it perfect and quite a find. It seems to be they had an iPod / iPhone in mind when they designed around it and kept with the Apple creativity and uniqueness.
jimbo_star jimbo_st…
Nice affordable hotel in Manhattan Jul 11, 2011
Very nice chic hotel, friendly stuff and really cool rooms, although quite small, visited by mostly young people/couples who are looking for something more than a hostel but better than ** budget hotels. Gets busy in the summer, so book online in advance. And even if you're there and wanna extend your stay, look online, you'll probably get better deal than on reception, I did :)
effe_erre82 effe_err…
Modern, chic, economic use of space. Apr 10, 2011
Good hotel for its price and location, would totally stay there again. Close to pretty much everywhere you want to go, even if it's not that close, it's 2-min walk from a subway.

The rooms are perfectly sized.If you are looking for a nice, modern, ancd clean hotel within walking distance of Broadway, 5th Ave, and Times Square stay here.
HelenFromOZ HelenFro…
Affordable, funky and very clean Oct 19, 2010
The Pod is great, I stayed in the Queen room and it was very reasonably priced.

funky and modern it even had a docking station for my IPOD.Free wifi.

Very clean

*one issue, the safe wouldnt open in the middle of the night, I wanted to get my ID out of the safe so I could go clubbing, unless i was checking out and going to the airport the front desk told me I had to wait till the morning ..Not very happy..
The Pod sign on the back of the ro…
jclarkeact jclarkea…
Reasonable hotel in the midtown of NYC Nov 08, 2010
I stayed at The Pod Hotel in NYC for one week in late January 2010 and the hotel is very good, the double bed I had is very comfortable. Location is excellent, the subway station is just up the street - say, a stone throw away; even it has a marvellous view of the NYC from the 14th floor (apparently a roof) regardless day or night, just fantastic. The room is small yet comofortable at a reasonable price.
robbbie1988 robbbie1…
Right in the middle of New York City Feb 25, 2010
if your on a budget, but still want a nice place to stay then this is the place for you!The hotel lies on 230 East 51st Street,right in the middle of the city.Excellent rooms, and by far the best showers in a hotel ive ever seen.A short walk to everything, 10 minutes to Cantral Park,15 minutes to times square,and if u get a chance try the restaurant next to the hotel, sells amazing food.

Amazing rooftop views of the city, and a very clean place to stay.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone going to New York for a short break.
rustman911 rustman9…
Affordable, hip, NYC hotel that's in a great location! Mar 18, 2009
My girlfriend and I stayed at The POD Hotel in NYC from 9-25-08 to 9-29-08.

I started planning this trip for us in early 2008. I spent months looking for different hotels. I had a list of about 15 different options and looked up loads of info on each of them. I couldn't find the pricing info on some of them without having to call, which is how The POD Hotel was. Because of that, I saved those for last.

I got to looking at The POD Hotel and noticed how they had many different styles of rooms. They had single rooms with couch beds, bunk bed rooms, and larger rooms with larger beds. Since we weren't planning on being in the room a lot we didn't need a larger room. We decided on the bunk bed room. I called and got all of the pricing info and was really happy. For our five day, four night stay at The POD Hotel it came out to a total of around mid-$800's, including all taxes and fees.

I will admit that the bunk bed room was very small, about the size of a prison cell, LoL. It had a little desk, in room sink and mirror, and a small open closet area to hang up your shirts with shelves above and below. The beds were bunk beds, of course, and each had a small, and I mean small, pull out TV attached to a swivel on the wall.

The rooms didn't have their own bathrooms. Each floor had two shared bathrooms. The bathrooms were small, but very nice. Each bathroom had a single shower and a door that could be locked, so it wasn't dorm room style. Each room, or POD, had a signal above the door letting you know if the bathrooms were in use at the moment.

The hotel was always very clean. We had our bags and all of our souvenirs and what not laid out on the floor in a corner of the room and nothing was ever touched or moved, but the room was always cleaned with the beds made each day.

I'm not very sure about the different amenities because of the small room we chose to stay in. I'm sure the larger rooms were more well equipped.

The location was great. At the end of the block was a great little deli called PAX's. We ate our breakfast here every morning. It's just down the street from a subway location. There are many different tourist locations located all around. It's only about a mile from Times Square which isn't a very long walk at all. If you prefer to catch a subway to Times Square, there is a subway location about a block and a half (5 min or less) going towards uptown that you can catch and it will take you directly below Times Square in a jiffy.

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a cheap, fun place to stay while enjoying the wonderful city of New York. For older couples, you may want to go for the larger rooms (still cheap). Younger couples, go wild and get the bunk bed rooms, they're fun, and you still have room to get your groove on!

I will always stay at this hotel while visiting NYC. The only reason I would not stay here is if I would like to stay for only a night or two at a big fancy uppity hotel for just the experience of it, which would cost half of the total cost or the full total cost of the POD cost for the entire trip.
Eric says:
Have heard a lot about this place, thanks for the thorough review!
Posted on: Mar 18, 2009
amy amy
New York City Pod Hotel Aug 15, 2008
Pod Hotel: 230 E 51st St, New York, NY 15th 16th 17th 18th 19th

I loved this hotel. And that's saying a lot considering it was a 'budget' hotel in NY & that I always felt lonely staying any place other than a hostel or friend's house.

My favourite part - and I think it's reason enough to go there on its own - was the rooftop. It was spectacular. The view really made me realise how amazing New York City really is. Laying down on the warm, bright astro turf and looking up and out at it all was one of my favourite things to do.

The hotel room itself came as quite a shock at first. A tiny room with a small single bed and ... "Where's the toilet?". It took me a while to decide that there was no secret door or flip out compartment containing the loo. It sounds odd - but the room looks a little like a kids playground and so I don't feel too silly for jumping to that conclusion. There were a bunch of hidey holes for storing things & I'd never been to a hotel without a bathroom within the room itself.

...But that's why the Pod Hotel is such good value. There were about four or so bathrooms to share amongst an entire floor of people but you know what? They were always empty when I went passed them. I was particularly impressed with the cleanliness of the bathrooms. They looked so modern and brand new that I felt as though I wasn't the millionth person to visit them - which believe me, is SUCH a good feeling after staying in big old hostels with worn out bathroom tiles/fixtures/handles etc.

One of the main features of the Pod is that every room contains an iPod docking station - something which I found thoroughly uber spectacular and used every moment that I spent in that room without a raging hangover. i.e. Not a lot to be honest!

I would HIGHLY reccommend this hotel. Especially for couples or lone travellers who don't want to stay in hostels. It's modern, young and the staff were helpful and kind - except for the unusually cranky maids. I'd stay at the Pod again in a heartbeat & I'll happily tell anyone who asks me where they should stay that this is the place!!
View from the rooftop @ the Pod ho…
Sakaali Sakaali
Affordable and clean hotel in Midtown Manhattan Feb 05, 2008
Me and my brother stayed here for a week in February 2008, and we were both very satisfied that we chose Pod Hotel. It situates in a good location near subway station, and only a short walk from Rockefeller Center, Central Park, and United Nations.

Our room was called the Bunk Pod, which was indeed really small, smaller than an average cabin on a cruiser ship. Even so, I was really happy because the room was cheap and also very clean. It even had a small LCD TV for both beds. The shared bathroom was next door, and there was some nice ambient music playing 24/7 which was nice. It was cleaned several times a day, so it was always tidy.

Breakfast wasn't included in the price, but nearby there is the Pax Wholesome Foods store, which I can recommend. Overall, I think Pod Hotel is a very affordable choice if you need a convenient place to stay in Midtown. It's not luxurious, but does its job well as a place to stay for a night. You might still want to take earplugs with you, because sometimes it was a little bit noisy at night. For me it wasn't a problem though, since I was always so tired after exploring the city all day long. :)
Views from the rooftop

• Lake
  • Desk
  • Direct dial phone
  • Ticket Service
  • Internet Connection (wireless)
  • Cots