The Pink Taco

www.pinktaco.com - 480-675-7777

The Pink Taco Scottsdale Reviews

Amanda Amanda
May 05, 2007
Tee Hee... We get to have a little fun on this one, don't we? Where to start, where to start...

Let's start with the timeless question; What's in a name? Well... if the name is "Pink Taco"... a lot is in it; amusement for some, and if you ask others the end of the world.

Let me back up.

Originally, there was one location for this restaurant; in the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas Nevada. It's owned by the Morton family. Last year, they decided to open a second location, in the very posh $250 million Scottsdale Waterfront, right across from the Scottsdale Fashion Square.

The outcry promptly began.

The more innocent among you may be wondering why; I'll try to be as delicate as I can here. The term "Pink Taco" is in fact slang for... well... a certain area on a woman's body. I'll let your mind wander for a bit.

Are you back?

People were furious (some people). The mayor of Scottsdale went to the Morton family and demanded a name change. They refused, and then, as if in a high stakes poker game, RAISED the mayor by saying not only were they NOT going to change the name, but that Morton was offering $30 million for the naming rights to the Arizona Cardinals' new stadium in Glendale, Arizona. A shiver went through the hearts of conservative Arizona. The stir was so great it caused national attention, procuring a mention on Saturday Night Live, and a large interview segment on Jon Stewart's "The Daily Show", to name a couple.

But how is the actual RESTAURANT?

It's actually quite tasty.

The location, obviously, is beautiful; and so is the decor. Relaxed and elegant, with outdoor seating allowing you to watch all of beautiful Scottsdale wander by.

The food is great too, voted "Best Mexican Food of Phoenix" for 2006. While it has many dishes, the highlight is, of course, their collection of...well... tacos. These are the soft style variety, and actually more authentic than you get most places. They come with soft white corn tortillas, and you make your own as you go. Regardless of what main meat you pick (beef, shrimp, chicken) you get some great sauces, an avocado corn relish (FABULOUS) refried beans and some really gorgeous rice, fluffy and hot with a hint of saffron.

I'd also have to say that the tortilla chips they give prior to the meal are the best I've had, and living in Phoenix, you eat a lot of those.

There is a large drink menu, focusing on different types of margaritas, of which I only sampled my friends' drinks; but all three were quite different and good. Personally, I thought the best was the Prickly Pear. (named after the fruit of a cactus we have here that you can make jams, jellies, and candies with; and apparently, margaritas.)

Prices are reasonable, especially for the area. The tacos cost 13.95, and were large enough for two of us to share.

You can also, of course, purchase "Pink Taco" underwear, for $22.00. (Did you really have any doubt?)

They will be opening a new location in Los Angeles shortly.
Amanda says:
...and what do you mean you are innocence personified? I thought you were an enigmatic sex symbol type from Sheffield?? Clarify, please...
Amanda says:
You like the Daily show? Perhaps I should share my claim to fame with you - or one of the two that I actually share with people... Jon Stewart and I met years ago, and many times since, and he always remembers me - due to a long story, he calls me "tobasco sauce girl" with quite a bit of glee....
dougal says:
Now I like the idea of this place. I like Tacos. I like the Daily Show (when I manage to catch it). Unfortunately I know not of this slang term to which you refer as I am innocence personified.

Check Scottsdale Hotel Deals