The Pickled Frog

Check Hobart Hotel Deals

The Pickled Frog Hobart Reviews

EndevourII Endevour…
Home from Home Nov 26, 2014
I decided to head to Tasmania following the harvest trail but first wanted to spend a few days in Hobart to explore the area and get to know the city. After reading a few reviews the Pickled Frog sounded like the place to be, and I wasn't disappointed!

Situated a 10 minute walk to the CBD and another 5 minutes to the harbour the location is great. A £50 taxi or you can book a mini bus for less. Upon arriving at the Frog I was greeted by very friendly and attentive staff, although my room wasn't ready I had no problems leaving my backpack in their storage room while I went on a little sortie of the area.

Prices start at $24 for a 12 bed dorm, $26 for 8/6 and $28/$29 for 4/3 bed dorms. As you enter the hostel the reception is in a good sized communal room with several sofas and an open fire that was burning most days. The perfect greeting after a day exploring Tasmania, especially when the weathers wild! The main communal room is large with more sofas, a good sized T.V. and is surrounded with tables for eating at. Oh, and no signs like "no eating on the sofas" which I've encountered at some hostels, like backpackers aren't capable of consuming food without throwing it everywhere! There is also a library like corner with armchairs and tons of interesting books you wouldn't normally find. The kitchen was slightly on the small side but had plenty of rings and loads of cutlery. I find avoiding peak times the best policy for any hostel kitchen, much less chaotic and no-ones going to steal the pan you spent half an hour eyeing up and had finally got your hands on. Nearly all the rooms are located upstairs, my room was clean and although it got fairly cold at night they supply a thick cover. Also I noticed someone was cleaning somewhere all day everyday, the kitchen, toilets and communal rooms were always clean and tidy.

The reception also has a built in Bar/barista which serves excellent coffee. £3 If I remember, for a good sized cup of whatever you want, Latte, Cappuccino etc. Bottles of beer were $4 but cheaper if you bought 5, think it was one free.

During my stay I took advantage of the free shuttles. On various days of the week you can take a trip to Mt.Wellington, Bonorong Wildlife Park (you will need £25 for entry) or Mona art gallery (£20 entry). On the day I went on the Mt.Wellington trip the assent was closed due to bad weather but the guide still took us to this really cool tree and was very knowledgeable and friendly.

Overall I rate the Pickled Frog as the best hostel I've stayed at for It's relaxed vibe and friendly atmosphere. The staff are very knowledgeable and happy to chat, the convenience of the bar/coffee shop, several parking spaces out back, and I almost forgot if you stay for 6 nights you get the 7th free. This is my first review, hope it can be of help!
EndevourII says:
Almost forget, free Wi-Fi too.
Posted on: Nov 26, 2014
matthew matthew
The Pickled Frog Dec 22, 2010
I stayed at this hostel on return to Hobart, partly because some people off the group were staying there, and partly because I fancied checking it out for myself after seeing some reviews on hostelworld.

This is the kind of hostel I love. There’s a bar area, TV room, and dining room to socialise in, and each are comfortable and spacious. The beer is very cheap and the location is great, just a few minutes walk from the CBD, but on the bus route for airport pick ups.

The kitchen is not the cleanest I’ve seen, and the showers aren’t great either, but for me I can get over that when I can totally chill out at a place. They have a huge DVD collection or the likes of Foxsports to enjoy on a big screen TV; internet and WiFi available at a cheap price, with a good connection; and a very helpful and friendly staff to help with any of your needs e.g. tour info, getting to and from the airport, luggage storage etc.

Highly recommended.
spocklogic says:
Great name - looks like a good place to socialize...
Posted on: Jul 12, 2011