The Parkway Speakeasy Theater

1834 Park Boulevard, Oakland, CA, USA

The Parkway Speakeasy Theater Oakland Reviews

worldcitizen worldcit…
Feb 03, 2008
The Parkway is not a typical movie theater. It has couches, armchairs and tables, and best of all they serve pizza, beer and wine there. It makes for a relaxed and comfortable environment. They have a decent selection of beverages and pizza was surprisingly good. Someone near me ordered nachos which looked good. They had salsa, beans and real cheese... none of that mystery cheese you usually find a regular movie theaters. The theater is old and the one downside is that if you are short and sitting in the back, it is all one level which can make it hard to see subtitles if you are sitting behind a tall person!

I went to the Parkway for the "Sunday Salon" which is on the first Sunday of every month from 2-4pm. Local organizations can present a documentary about a certain issue and follow it up with a discussion about the subject of the film. Admission is free for the Sunday Salon. They were showing Favela Rising (http://favelarising.com) for February's event- a movie about guys in a slum in Rio who used music and education to fight violence in a slum in Rio. So of course this was right up my alley. Driving up I saw a group of kids congregating in from of the theater with drums. I was not expecting this so it was exciting. Just before the movie started, they started playing in the lobby, made their way down the aisle and on to the stage of the theater. They were a fairly young group of kids and I was impressed. They are called Loco Bloco (http://locobloco.org/).

They have a limited selection of movies, some are recent and some are old. They show Rocky Horror picture show almost every Saturday. It is 21+ because of the alcohol but on Sundays and Saturday matinees it is all ages. Wednesday nights are two for one. They have a bunch of other events that you can check out on their website. Parking is decent in the area. On a Sunday afternoon it was easy because I didn't have to worry about the meter. Check it out, it's an interesting place!
Woman on stilts with Loco Bloco. I…
Loco Bloco
CrazyLisa says:
OHh my friend has told me about this place. You also make it sounds awesome!!
Posted on: Feb 24, 2008
worldcitizen says:
Sybil- It was great to see the drummers... I usually know where I can find them in the Bay Area but this was an unexpected surprise!

Tom- I probably wouldn't go to Oakland if I didn't live in the East Bay! But there are some cool things there and it makes sense to go there every once in awhile rather than always going to the city!
Posted on: Feb 24, 2008
trhoades says:
Interesting. I need to head over to The Oak more often. More often meaning...ever.
Posted on: Feb 23, 2008