The Palace of Culture and Science in Warsaw

The Palace of Culture and Science in Warsaw - At the top of the palace

The Palace of Culture and Science in Warsaw Reviews

Chokk Chokk
The Palace of Culture and Science in Warsaw Aug 08, 2009
I have only been in Warsaw two times and both times this building had an impact on my stay. First time I was staying at the Marriott hotel just next to it, and every time we took the curtains away it was standing there in front of us. This time I spent some time there with my friends, who like me really enjoy it as a building and activity centre.

The Palace of Culture and Science or Pałac Kultury i Nauki, is still the tallest building in Poland, the eighth tallest building in the European Union, and the world's 187th tallest building at 237 meters. Construction started in 1952 and lasted until 1955. The building was a gift from the Soviet Union to the people of Poland, it is said that they could choose from a subway or this building.

The tower was constructed, using Soviet plans, almost entirely by 3500 workers from the Soviet Union, of whom 16 died in accidents during the construction. The Soviets were housed at a new suburban complex at Poland's expense, complete with its own cinema, food court, community centre and the swimming pool.

The architecture of the building is closely related to several similar skyscrapers built in the Soviet Union of the same era, most notably the Moscow State University and the Moscow Kremlin Spasskaya tower. However, the main architect Lev Rudnev incorporated some Polish architectural details into the project by traveling around Poland and seeing the architecture. The monumental walls are headed with pieces of masonry copied from renaissance houses and palaces of Kraków and Zamość.

Shortly after opening, the building hosted the 5th World Festival of Youth and Students. Many visiting dignitaries toured the Palace, and it also hosted performances by notable international artists, such as a 1967 concert by the Rolling Stones, the first by a major western rock group behind the Iron Curtain.

The view from the top is magnificent if you are lucky to be there a cloudless day. We had that luck and the ticket of 20 zloty in order to take you to the top is worthwhile.
Seen from the ground
At the top of the palace
They even have a mailbox here
View from the top

Related Travel Blogs About The Palace of Culture and Science in Warsaw

The last train home
I got up late; my train didn’t leave until 12 so I might as well make the most of my hotel room. I checked out about half 10 and headed to the station, I had to get through customs before board…Warsaw was imminent as the Palace of Science and culture loomed into view. The train stopped at one of the outer…
City in the sand
I was going to go to one of the hotels in the rough guide but some bloke came up to me and said do you want a hotel. I asked how much and he said 30 dirham’s. The worst that can happen is I can say…palaces of science and culture in Warsaw and Riga. Impressive, but not really needed, in Laayoune (and most of Morocco…
Mostly Working and Little Play in Warsaw
Man what a day.  I got up and discovered TravBuddy time.  I went to upload a few pictures I had trouble with the night before and suddenly it was 30 minutes later.   Thank God the wa…Palace of Culture and Science.   Driving in Warsaw is crazy.   I now under stand why one of my colleagues…

Check Warsaw Hotel Deals