The Painted Burro

(617) 776-0005

The Painted Burro Somerville Reviews

jack_nel jack_nel
Good Margaritas Sep 18, 2012
I arrived solo at 9:15 on a Friday night, pretty much packed, but I got a seat at the bar right away. I sat at the bar, pretty busy, but was greeted and given a menu quickly.

In just a couple minutes my drink order was in and I received it quickly: house margarita, very good, not too tart, taste of tequila, but not over powering.

Appetizer: empanadas, good presentation on roasted red pepper and tomato-chipolte sauce, perfectly crispy with a quality meat filling, just enough spice for a zip, but by no means "hot".

Entree: Fish taco, Maine red fish, savoy cabbage (slaw), baja mayo and cilantro. Not bad, but I'd prefer fresh fish (not battered) and not a huge slaw fan, but it was not bad.

Short rib barbacoa taco, red wine cola mole, three cheeses, corn and serrano salsa, cilantro, and cotija cheese. Strong braised pork flavor, very good, again, great balance of flavors with cheeses and salsas.

The accompanying re fried beans lacked any real flavor, blah.

Tacos are made with 6in corn tortillas. $6-8.

All in all, the empanadas and short rib taco I would get again, the fish, probably not.

A couple next to me ordered nachos, they were NOT the typical pile of chips and "stuff", the dish looked like a well presented entree. (I had to resist the urge to ask if I could take a photo!) They said they liked what they had that evening, especially the nachos.

We all agreed the Margaritas were the high point.

The Painted Burro offers a new option in the Davis Square area, but wouldn't be my first choice to take visitors.

Check Somerville Hotel Deals