The Outlaws and Lawmen Jail Museum

136 W Bennett Ave, Cripple Creek, CO, USA

The Outlaws and Lawmen Jail Museum Cripple Creek Reviews

bkretzer bkretzer
Very Interesting Experience Jun 14, 2008
The Outlaws and Lawmen Jail Museum was the big surprise of our trip. We did not know it existed, saw it because we were on a tourist scavenger stop, and completely enjoyed the experience.

The Outlaws and Lawmen Jail Museum is housed in the old Teller County Jail. The jail had to be closed in the 1990s because of lawsuits based on the 8th Amendment. The one restricting cruel and unusual punishment. I don’t know if cruel or unusual is accurate, but spartan, bare, and boring would accurately describe a stay here.

The main part of the museum is the actual jail, used for most of a century. It is two tiered, and as intimidating as any Alcatraz movie. The cells are iron plate cages. They have no comforts, not even a bathroom. The absolute boredom that must have been felt was on vivid display in one cell. A prior resident had used his artistic talents to decorate the entire cell to make it homier. He had drawn bricks, a fireplace, a dog, and even a microwave oven. I didn’t feel too much in the way of sympathy for the criminals who called this place home however. Jail is not supposed to be pleasant. It is supposed to be a place to be avoided. Trust me; you would not want to spend time here.

In addition to the cells, they had several murals and displays the told the stories of various people and incidents of outlawry that happened in and around Cripple Creek.

The day that we were there, there was no admittance charge. Their website gives no information about that either. I would cheerfully pay up to $7.00, and grudgingly up to $10.00 for admittance. It was a very realistic and grounding experience and I highly recommend it to anyone who goes to Cripple Creek.
dothoin says:
Saw a show on TV one night about a high security prison somewhere in the States (can't remember the name) but one of the prisoners was complaining that he didn't get a steak for his dinner!! A steak?? Some cheek ...if it was any other country in Asia or Africa he'd be lucky to get a bowl of gruel
Posted on: Nov 12, 2009
bkretzer says:
Nope, but we did find the Original Hard Rock Cafe in the Mollie Kathleen Mine. (I do like your attitude, though!)
Posted on: Nov 11, 2009