The Open Arms

Check Dirleton Hotel Deals

The Open Arms Dirleton Reviews

sarahelaine sarahela…
The Open Arms Mar 20, 2010
** I didn't stay here, I came here for a family party - so I can't rate the room accurately, just the amenities***

The Open Arms, in Dirleton in East Lothian, is a very nice place to have coffee or a meal. It is well established in the area – it seems to be where my mum and her sister were taken for special occasions for most of their childhood, and they get a sort of misty expression on their faces when it is mentioned.

The misty expression is well deserved. I went to an anniversary party for my boyfriend’s grandparents here, and had a wonderful time. For a start, the food is excellent. The lamb was incredibly tender and there were amazing deserts. The bar is well stocked and has some nice malt whisky, which you would hope for in a place like this but it’s still worth mentioning.

The staff are lovely, and very helpful. The Open Arms is directly opposite Dirleton Castle, which is a very nice thirteenth century ruin that I conquered on a regular basis (castles being much easier to conquer when they are already ruined and you have a good imagination and a large stick) when I was five, so you have something to do with any fractious children you might have brought with you.

The decoration is quite old fashioned, but all the more charming for it. There is a function room that would fit a medium sized family party comfortably. This isn’t the sort of place where you would have a loud party, but more the sort of place you would have a nice family gathering or a romantic stay on your way to Edinburgh. I’m afraid I can’t comment on the hotel rooms or the price, because I was only there for the party, but given the standards elsewhere I can’t imagine it being any less good.

All in all, this is traditional charm close to Edinburgh opposite a castle and near the coast. I would go back in a flash, in particular if I had my mother in tow.

Check Dirleton Hotel Deals