The Old Sugar Mill

The Old Sugar Mill - The Old Sugar Mill

The Old Sugar Mill Clarksburg Reviews

williamsworld williams…
great wine Jun 05, 2009
I am now a big fan of the Old Sugar Mill in Clarksburg. I could not ask for a better environment for wine tasting. It as a very nice place to go wine tasting right in the Sacramento area. Generally we drive over to Napa and spend money on hotels and the like, but this place offers a nice little alterative. There are only 4 small wineries in the place, all offering some great vino from the area. Todd Taylor seemed to be the most inviting and seem to have the most passion for his wines. Granted all of the other wineries offered great service and some knowledge of wine, but he just seemed to have more passion for his label and his journey. He took a lot of time to explain his single vineyard wines and the story that lead him to where he is today.

The wine tastings are free. This alone is worth the trip. Most of the wineries are generous with information and their pours. The hours vary among the wineries, so check each one out. Todd Taylor is only open Friday- Sunday from 11am 5pm. Just call if you have any question.

There is not a lot of room to just jump up to the bar and drink, but it is quite intimate, so be prepared to share space with other wine enthusiasts. All the wineries have staff on hand that have a love for wine. They don’t make you feel stupid even if you ask a stupid question like,”Who is sangiovese?” Now, that wasn’t me, but that was the kicker for me. I really enjoyed Todd Taylor’s 2006 Lockwood Oaks Cabernet Sauvignon. Very reasonable and they will ship across the country for one flat rate. They also have a wine club. Check out their website at www.toddtaylorwines.com and enjoy.

The only down fall to the Old Sugar Mill is that they need to add a place to eat on site. You can bring in a picnic lunch, but who remembers. A few more wineries would also help. But overall, this is a great venue full of some great history, great photo ops and some great wine.
The Old Sugar Mill
One of the doors. I liked the look
Barrels
A flight at Todd Taylor
williamsworld says:
Thanks
Posted on: Jun 08, 2009
poohstanggt says:
So glad you had a nice time! Just note...Carvalho is the only winery open Wed-Sun as far as I know. Todd Taylor is open Fri-Sun only! I miss it down there already!
Posted on: Jun 08, 2009

Related Travel Blogs About The Old Sugar Mill

Old Sugar Mill - Wines of Yolo County
Following our adventures in Napa, the last wine stop on our tour was the Old Sugar Mill in Clarksburg, near Sacramento.  The Old Sugar Mill is just that, and old sugar mill, that has been conv…Old Sugar Mill in Clarksburg, near Sacramento.  The Old Sugar Mill is just that, and old sugar mill, that…
Erin, wine and food
Meet up with Erin Wow, what a great afternoon reconnecting with Erin and over some of our most favorite wines. The afternoon was a great time to relax, share our stories, sip some great wine and eat…Old Sugar mill in Clarksburg, CA. The time was very relaxing as we at some really good vegetable orzo and an even…
The Old Sugar Mill Map