The Old Music Shop

North Frederick Street, Dublin, Ireland

The Old Music Shop Dublin Reviews

hanleyscot hanleysc…
Another great Restaurant in Dublin Apr 01, 2015
As luck would have it, I stumbled across The Old Music Shop Restaurant while walking aimlessly in the neighborhood. Well, not really aimlessly. I was looking for food but I had nothing in particular in mind and just headed out to see what was around. It just so happened that this place was only a couple of blocks away from where I was staying on Gardiner Place.

From my understanding, this used to be an actual music shop that has since been converted to a restaurant. It's located on North Frederick Street. Later the next day I walked around the area again searching for food but this was the only place I found that looked of interest to me. I actually ended up eating there the next morning for breakfast, too.

The first night I had the beef and Guiness stew. I must say…I was impressed. It was really, really good. And, of course, it was cold and raining outside so it definitely perfect under those circumstances. It was a really rich, hearty stew that sticks to your bones. I could've had another bowl it was that good. I still don't understand the brown soda bread that seems to be the craze of Ireland. Meh. I could go the rest of my life without ever eating it again. But what do I know?

I enjoyed the stew so much that I went there again for breakfast the next day. I hadn't realized it the night before but the restaurant is part of The Castle Hotel. They were packed full of customers who were enjoying what I could only assume was their complimentary breakfast. In fact, I think it was almost entirely people staying at the hotel that filled all their seats. I don't think I was supposed to have taken part of the spread they were offering. I was probably supposed to order off the menu but when I walked in they took more order anyway.

I'm still a little confused by restaurants in Europe so far. Do you wait to be seated or do you just select a table for yourself? Seems to depend on the restaurant but they never seem to have a sign indicating the protocol like they do in the U.S. It's like the tipping situation. Still not completely sure about it. Hopefully I'm not offending anyone. I usually just ask them and assume they are telling me the truth. They told me to tip 50%. Seems fair, right? Ok, I'm kidding. They didn't tell me that. Even I am not that naive anyway.

Anyway, the breakfast was fine. Not as great as the dinner the previous night. But there was nothing wrong with it. Just nothing particularly notable.

The seating was a little awkward to me. It felt like the tables were all really close to each other. But it's Europe. I got over it.

It's definitely worth checking out for dinner. I would actually go out of my way to get that stew again.
hanleyscot says:
I know, Jenny, it does sound like a lot. But in the U.S. they only get paid a little over $2 an hour. So when you think about it that way, it doesn't seem so bad. I don't like tipping based on the price, though. I think it should be based on the service only. Haha…that's crazy to me that the taxi driver would chase you down to give you your change. That would never happen in the U.S.!
Posted on: Apr 19, 2015
trippin_jen says:
15-20% is a lot! In Japan they don't take tips. When the change is small and you just ask them to keep the change, the taxi driver will still run after you to return whatever balance there is.
Posted on: Apr 18, 2015
hanleyscot says:
Bill - Haha…Unfortunately I did not get away without paying. That would've made it even better, though!

Jenny - Most places other than fast food restaurants (McDonalds, Burger King, etc.) you usually wait to be seated unless there is a sign specifically telling you to seat yourself.

Tipping in the U.S. is 15% - 20%. Sometimes more. It's expected. Over here it just depends on the situation. Some places here include a service charge so it's not expected for you to tip. If you do tip, it's 10% but it is not compulsory. I usually just ask wherever I go. Sometimes I get different answers. Some people are more than willing to take extra money. Some have told me not to. It's just weird for me being used to tipping for everything back home. That's how they make their living so it just seems wrong not to tip.

Vance - That's very generous of you! haha!
Posted on: Apr 17, 2015