The Old Forge

Inverie, Scotland

The Old Forge Inverie Reviews

davidx davidx
Great Inn with a bunkhouse Aug 21, 2010
I wanted to review this as a pub/restaurant but the site won't let me - and I did stay in the bunkhouse with my son so technically I am reviewing that but, as it's owned by the pub, I am covering that as well.

The Old Forge describes itself as mainland Britain's remotest pub. If you looked at a photo with a road passing it you might wonder - but the roads of Inverie do not link to any others in the UK and to get a car there you would need to get it transported from Mallaig through (sea) Loch Nevis. To get there yourself, you would either have to use Bruce Watt's ferry from Mallaig or walk a long distance on rough tracks.

This sounds as if you are going to find a pretty rugged place when you arrive but nothing of the sort! This is a very busy, remarkably friendly pub in a building that has been, obviously from the name, a forge and later a workers'social club. Judging from the smell of the food and the faces of htose eating it, the standard must have been high.

As for the bunkhouse, it was a bunkhouse! You neither expect nor get luxury but the beds, washing and cooking facilities were what we anticipated. It is far neough from the Old Forge to get good and soaked in wet weather, which is sadly common here.

My son and I were intent on walking Ladhar Bheinn (apparently pronounced Larven!) It was a tough walk and we were in mist most of the day but just for a few minutes we got the view from the top - fabulous!!

We were pretty wet when we reached the bunkhouse again and were not looking forward to the walk to the Old Forge. However, believe it or not, a woman on her own picked us up - a pretty unlikely occurence in most of the UK for a lone woman to pick up two men! She told us that nobody there bothered to lock their doors. A thief would have a long enough way out to be caught fairly easily.

Compare Tarbet Hotel Rates (7.7km away)

The Old Forge Map