The Old Biscuit Mill Neighbourgoods Market

021 448 1438

The Old Biscuit Mill Neighbourgoods Market Cape Town Reviews

to_see to_see
Why do so many tourists miss this? Apr 17, 2011
A great place to spend a Saturday morning, this is one of my favourite spots in Cape Town. It is lively, fun, and there is a great atmosphere. If you're local, your bound to go back for some favourite stall at the market. (Mine's the French pate's!). If you're a tourist, you have a chance to sample some of the best of local produce and goods.

You can't come to Cape Town and not go to the Neighbour Goods Market.

(And yes, it isn't in the best part of town, but I feel safe going and leaving my car there. I can also happily say that I have never heard of anyone having any problems going. There's of lots fo people, and that's a good thing!)
rsummo rsummo
The Best Collection of Food in Cape Town Jul 24, 2010
Here’s how to handle a free Saturday in Cape Town – get up around 8am and shower and put on something casually fashionable - look good but don’t look like you are trying too hard. Grab an EBR or a Rikki’s Cab and ask the driver to take you to the market at the Old Biscuit Mill; he’ll know what you are talking about. Aim to get to there just before 9am, because soon after that the market will get crowded and seating will become next to impossible to find. Spend the next few hours gorging yourself on incredible market foods. Have a breakfast beer , or opt for the morning wine instead. When you can’t take any more, spend some time walking around the expensive but interesting craft and clothing shops on the other side of the mill. Buy yourself a newspaper and read about what’s going on in the country today. Wait until you can accommodate more food in your stomach, and then go back for more, enough so that you won’t need to have anything for dinner that night. When you are done with the lunch round, head over to the waterfront and walk it off, or head back to your hotel and hang out by the pool; just don’t plan on doing anything that resembles aerobic exercise; if you were successful at the market, exercise should be impossible for the rest of the day.

The Saturday market at the Old Biscuit Mill was so great, we did it twice. It’s a very popular place, and deservedly so. Everything there is eco-this and fair trade-that, and you will not find such a collection of incredible food items in one place anywhere else. At the risk of sounding like a complete pig (which will be a forgivable offense once you come and see the market for yourself), here is a list of what I ate while at the market – a slew of baked goods including a Danish and two types of pie, a Thai breakfast scramble, a salmon hollandaise roshti, countless green and black teas, coffee, a lime cucumber mint smoothie, a Paulaner pint, a fresh steak roll, and some Hungarian pizza-like thing that I can’t remember the name of. All this is in addition to the free samples I enjoyed – cheeses, breads, cookies, numerous types of pesto, biltong, jams, etc. I may have eaten a lot, but even with two trips the amount of food I wanted to try but didn’t get to eat far outweighs what I did get to try. It would be a fantastic culinary marathon to try to eat it all, something I’d consider if I had more Saturday’s to spend at the Cape.

As with most upscale markets, the prices for the incredible food are above average. Each specific item isn’t outrageously expensive, but after I went through and tried everything that caught my eye and fit in my belly, I had spent a considerable amount of money. It’s certainly worth the splurge, but if you are on a tight budget, you will be forced to exercise considerable self-control, or at least maximize the free sampling as best you can. The cab ride from my hostel ran about R60. I got from the market to the waterfront for another R45, and then walked back from there. The early start is key, because the place does get shoulder to shoulder crowded within an hour of opening. It’s really a fantastic experience, and I would rank it just below the major hot-spots (Table Mountain, Robben Island, etc.) in terms of experience value. There aren’t many better ways to spend a sunny Saturday morning.
ean030 ean030
Amazing food experience Nov 11, 2010
The Old Biscuit Mill is exactly what the name says it is; an old biscuit mill. However, it has been done up nicely and now houses an collection of nice art-, clothes- and second hand shops, a coffe bar and the biggest attraction of all: The Neighbourhood Goods Market.

Every Saturday morning people come from all over Cape Town (at least it's seems like it when it's buisy) come to eat breakfast and buy groceries here. You can buy anything you want, from pizza, to African sushi, to pastries. And its all good!!

The market opens at nine, and it pays to be there early, as it gets crowded shortly after. Then you have make your way through the throng and you won't be able to find a seat. But since you won't find a better place for breakfast anywhere else, there is no reason not to be there at nine :)

There are a number of different stalls, and I recommend you browse through them all before you choose what to buy, though choosing is almost impossible. After buying (bring cash, though there is an ATM at the premises) food and drink (try the smoothies, mmmmm....)try and find a place to sit. There are benches inside with old doors as tables, and haystacks outside.

After eating go and have a look at the different shops, for instance the one that only sell beads in various shapes and colours. Then hopefully you will find you have more room, and get something more to eat! Or buy some to bring as lunch as you go on to the next thing on the agenda.

When I lived there we always drove there in our own car, but it shouldn't be a problem to take a taxi, it's not far from the city centre.

If you have your own car, take the M4 through Woodstock (Go down Darling st)rather than heading up Albert St itself. Take a left down Greatmore St. It's narrow, but there is a nice, manned parking place (more like a parking field) there. It only costs 10 rand or so, and is 2 blocks from the Mill. Get there early, traffic and parking becomes hellish in the narrow streets around the Mill as the day goes on.
Olives in various shapes at the Ol…
Yummi food
The tables are made of old doors
The best smoothies ever!
oldschoolbill says:
I love as we call them Farmer's markets I try to go to one every weekend for my veggies.
Posted on: Nov 10, 2010