The Oasis Leisure Centre

Swindon, England

The Oasis Leisure Centre Swindon Reviews

sarahelaine sarahela…
The Oasis at night Oct 02, 2009
I went to see Massive Attack in teh Oasis in Swindon. The Oasis, in the daytime, is a leisure centre, so I was not at all sure how they would accomodate a major league band. I had visions of them trying to get a soundsystem into the swimming pool, before I went.

It wasn't the swimming pool. It was the netball courts. Seeing a band at the Oasis is exactly like imagining that a major band are playing at your school disco, except with a bar.

The security were friendly and the venue was well organised, if a little short of parking. The bar queues were enormous and we decided not to bother, but if you don't want alcohol there are vending machines full of coke etc. For some reason tehy confiscate the lids when you go in, which is strange, but I didn't feel like arguing!

The soundsystem, surprisingly, was great, adn the acoustics are fine. There is nothing actually wrong with the venue, and they get some great bands. it's just that, well, it's a bit strange when the lights flare over the audience revealing... a sports centre roof and the goal half circle.

So in summary, good, but weird.

Massive Attack, by the way, were absolutely incredible, but I forgot my camera so can't share the pictures. :(

Check Swindon Hotel Deals