The Nunnery Accommodation Melbourne

116 Nicholson Street Fitzroy VIC 3065, Melbourne, Australia
The Nunnery Accommodation - 8 bed mixed dorm - with tv, sofa and a fridge :)
The Nunnery Accommodation - Dorm room

The Nunnery Accommodation Melbourne Rates and Deals

The Nunnery Accommodation Melbourne Reviews

christl3 christl3
Beautifully located, historic building Sep 08, 2013
The Nunnery hostel is located opposite the Exhibition Building in Carlton Gardens in the Fitzroy area of Melbourne, just on the outskirts of the CBD, but well within walking distance. The tram number 96 runs from Southern Cross Station all the way up Bourke Street and leaves you directly outside the hostel so it was very accessible. You don't even need to use the trams a great deal as it is an easy walk to the main thoroughfare. The Fitzroy area is also good for bars, cafes and restaurants, in particular, Brunswick Street.

The price is expensive by global standards but by Australian standards was quite reasonable.

The building itself has a great deal of history. It was built in 1888 and became the residence of a prominent English-born physician. It became a nunnery/convent for the Daughter's of Charity in 1944. The sisters took in young female boarders also, most of them being aged between 16 and 19 and from rural country areas with the purpose of studying. The nuns were reportedly quite strict with their young charges by implementing rigurous curfews and prohibiting young gentleman callers to come into the building past the front lounge.

It's nice to stay in a building that has a varied history.

The wifi charges are $4 for 2 hours, $5 for 24hrs, $7 for $48. They are quite steep charges considering you can't use the wifi in the adjoining building which we were staying in.

There is a big lounge room with a book exchange, a spacious kitchen, free laundry and towels. They also run different themed nights - Tuesday is movie night, Wednesday is soup night and Thursday is Pub crawl.

We enjoyed our stay here. It is a good hostel with a fair amount of character.
vix1 vix1
Oodles of charm Nov 10, 2012
So The Nunnery was recommended to me by a friend and although it's not in Melbourne CBD it’s in the nearby suburb of Fitzroy, but is in walking distance or alternatively (if half an hours too long a walk for you) jump on the tram, one stops right outside Nicholson Street.

So it’s a fairly big hostel and I was in an 8-bed mixed dorm, I think as there are female only dorms that the mixed dorms tend to have more male occupants, which isn’t necessarily a problem – ladies if you like your room to smell fairly good, I’d advise against it (no offence gents!) At $34 a night, it’s fairly competitive in Australia.

There are communal shared bathrooms, the one that was used by the people in my room was also shared with another dorm and it literally was one shower and toilet room. There was also a proliferation of men’s boxers that adorned the floor of the bathroom (nice!) but if you can hang on till after one when the cleaners been in, it’s a whole nicer experience. The only other problem that I had with the bathroom is the window – just at a guess, if I’m in the shower and I can see people outside, it stands to reason that people can see in.

The Nunnery isn’t the cleanest of hostels (although it’s passable) the whole time I just felt the whole place could do with a good clean and that was mainly in the dorm room, the bathroom (one bathmat on the floor – twelve people sharing the bathroom – not my idea of hygienic) and the kitchen (which is mainly people not cleaning up and doing their own dishes) however, they’ve now introduced a new rule : anyone found not cleaning their dishes will be asked to leave the hostel immediately! However, I have to say despite this, I loved it; it has a charm that you just can’t buy. There’s a large shared lounge room with plenty of places to plug in laptops (however, it is Oz, so no free wifi), breakfast foods are left out all day for people to access, so you don’t have to get up super early to get it (the kitchen is closed between 10am-1pm for cleaning – though its often open much earlier) and a garden/bbq area. It runs activities during the week, Monday night is movie night, Tuesday night is the free sausage sizzle, Thursday night is the pub crawl etc etc… I also loved the mix of people staying here, first time and seasoned travellers, the older, the younger and I particularly loved the group of six middle aged Spanish women, who were staying in a dorm! Most of the staff are friendly, Joe in particular was lovely.

Despite its faults, I’d highly recommend this place.
8 bed mixed dorm - with tv, sofa a…
Mixed dorm
Dorm room
vix1 says:
Haha, to be fair, after sharing a room with 7 guys - I think I'm being generous - there were so many worse things that I could say ;)

Yeah, there's no free internet in Oz - to access free wifi you normally have to end up going to a library or a Macca's - annoyingly.
Posted on: Nov 11, 2012
spocklogic says:
I do believe you insulted half your audience: sniff sniff. Is that the norm in Oz - no free internet?
Posted on: Nov 11, 2012
bula_niki bula_niki
Great Backpackers in Funky Fitzroy (not reviewing Guesthouse section) Jul 16, 2011
First let me say that the Nunnery is made up of two sections- a guesthouse area which I think is more hotel-like, and a backpackers. They don't have access to each other. I'm reviewing the backpacker section, and have not stayed in the guesthouse part.

I've stayed here twice, and have found it great! Its a converted nunnery (hence the name), and feels like a very large house. They have a lot of activities so you're able to meet people (e.g. movie nights, BBQs etc).

I paid $34 for a 4 bed dorm, so it wasn't the cheapest place backpackers, but it is nice and its safe. Breakfast is included, which is a nice touch, and I think the activities are as well.

It isn't in the city centre, but is in walking distance (15-20 mins) and there is a tram outside (you can get the 96 outside the door, or either the 96 or 86 slightly further down). Its in a great suburb though, with lots to see and do.

However, do not book the Jetbus with them- mine never arrived and when I called Jetbus, they said they didn't get my booking, even though I paid through the Nunnery. My money was never refunded, even though the owner of the Nunnery said it would be. Because of this, I have taken one star off.
venturas26 venturas…
Nice Accomondation May 23, 2011
I just stayed two days there. It's a average hostel located in a nice area which is close to public transport and other facilities. You've got a good cheap offer.

The kitchen was not as clean as I think a kitchen should be. Anyway, it's normaly if you stay in a backpackers...
matthew matthew
The Nunnery Dec 23, 2010
Reservations: 03 9419 8634

Guestline: 03 9416 2624

This is a quite a social hostel at the top end of the city. Location isn’t the best, but it is just across the street from the Melbourne Museum, so you do have an option. It’s about a 40 minute walk from the bus and train stations.

Very secure, friendly staff.

Nice lounge area, but small kitchen. Adequate bathrooms.

$30 for a 12-bed dorm, and free lockers are available. Security is good.

This isn’t a bad option for a hostel, and with the additional extras (e.g. BBQ night, DVD and popcorn night) and you could do far worse. There is no bar area, but with plenty of places to hang out and meet other travellers, it really isn’t a big problem. It is reasonably social and has a good atmosphere within the building. The included breakfast is the usual cereals, bread, and drinks, but once a week (I think) is a pancake breakfast. I would recommend this for a travel seeking a quieter place to stay and get away from the out and out party scene.
carolyn3723 carolyn3…
Nov 22, 2008
Location was a little bit North of the action, but very easy to get everywhere on the public transport. Great old building with comfy beds and clean bathrooms. Nice place to stay with a cool history. People hanging out downstairs...but not disturbing the sleepy guests!

The Nunnery Accommodation Amenities