The Number 5

33 South Washington Street, Binghamton, NY, USA

The Number 5 Binghamton Reviews

Amanda Amanda
May 15, 2007
I have written many a restaurant review here - but I think the time has come to finally share with you my favorite place in the world.

When someone asks for my favorite restaurant, I'm fond of replying back with a question - In what city? I've been to a lot, and each have a great restaurant or two to share. So if you're asking me about Kuala Lumpur, I'm going to say Top Hat, or Passage thru India; if you're asking me about Los Angeles, I'm going to say Fred 62.

But if you're stubborn, and you keep asking, I can refine the point. Because in truth? There is really only one restaurant so far, in this huge world, where the mere thought of it sends a small electric current running through my body. A heightened sense of being alive. An excitement that the night can now begin.

The Number 5; In, of all places, Binghamton, New York.

If you are anywhere remotely close, find your way to this establishment. The building itself started as a fire station, back in 1897. This place really has it's own personality, and you feel it as soon as you walk in the door. Call it good vibes, good ju ju, whatever you like - you'll find it here. It remained a fire house for 75 years, as Engine Company Number 5. Then, in the mid 70's, it was given up as a firehouse, and the building was surplussed. 1978, nearly 30 years ago now, The Number 5 was born.

Your celebration of the good life will start with the phenominal appetizers; Barbeque Shrimp, wrapped in bacon, and then broiled in the Number 5's special "Dinosaur" BBQ sauce, or try the Spanakopita; it's a puff pastry, filled with spinach, feta cheese, and then brused on the outside with herbed butter and served with fresh lemon that you squeeze on yourself before each bite. Prociutto Wrapped Scallops, served with this amazing orange glaze, unlike anything else I've ever had; or try the Baby Crabcakes - it comes unexpectedly with this grained mustard mayonnaise that I thought at first was highly questionable - until I tried it.

I have a hard time even going into the main dishes; I'll just give you a few of the favorites of me and my friends:

1. Stuffed Lobster Tail - 10oz cold Water Tail broiled and topped with a mixture of lump crabmeat, scallions, spices, herbed bread crumbs, and hollandaise. (My Fav)

2. Veal Chop Saltimbocco - Prime Veal Rib Chop sautéed in butter, rosemary, and parmesan, stuffed with Swedish Fontina Cheese and imported Prosciutto. Baked and finished in a velvety Marsala wine sauce and silver dollar mushrooms. (This was for Shannon)

3. Ron would mix it up; this is because the Number 5 offers all the usual suspects as far as New York Strip, Prime Rib, Bone In, etc, but all can be gotten in the following styles:

Milanese-fresh chopped garlic, seasoned oil, & herbs

Greek- lemon, butter, garlic, & oil

Au poivre-crushed peppercorns & brandy cream

Bearnaise-tarragon, vinegar, eggs, & butter

Blackened-rubbed with Cajun spices, seared on a hot griddle

Oscar-jumbo lump crabmeat, asparagus, & bearnaise

Everyone is friendly and helpful, but not overly so - you're left to your meal. The snow falls outside, and inside the warmth of the Number 5, you truely do eat, drink, and be merry.

I have eaten here countless times. It used to be easy for me; my work took me to the area quite a bit; but regardless of that, one way or another I will always go back to The Number 5.
Home Sweet Home... In all my trave…
Amanda says:
Almost 6 hours driving from you, hon - not that close...read my review on the hotel in NYC or the deli, or the Irish bar or the Cajun Place - THEN be mad. :-)
Posted on: May 15, 2007
AndiPerullo says:
Hey, what is this payback??? I write a blog about being close to you in Arizona and now you write a review about being close to me in NYC. Haha! If I'm ever in Binghamton I'll definitely check it out. By the way, where is Binghamton?
Posted on: May 15, 2007