The Nobska Light
Cape Cod, United States
The Nobska Light Cape Cod Reviews
The Nobska Light Jun 06, 2008
At 87-feet above sea level, the Nobska light in Woods Hole is visible from seventeen miles out to sea. Its 28,000 candlepower light flashes every six seconds to warn ships of two dangerous shoals south of Cape Cod: the Hedge Fence and L'Hommedieu.
The original 'Nobsque Light' was built in 1828 and was a stone cottage with a light tower on top. The present tower is made of a cast iron shell lined with brick, stands 42 feet high, and replaced the original in 1876. The front half of the light-keeper's house was also built in 1876. The Nobska Light became part of the Coast Guard in 1939 when the U.S. Lighthouse Service merged with the Coast Guard. The light became automated in 1985.
The Nobska Light is located on Nobska Point which overlooks the entrance to Woods Hole Harbor - and across to Martha's Vineyard. The light can be reached by following Locust Street out of Falmouth. Just past the fire station, angle left to find Nobska Road. It is the southernmost lighthouse on Cape Cod.
Part of the list Lighthouses
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!