The New York Aquarium

Brooklyn, New York

The New York Aquarium Brooklyn Reviews

secretsqurrl secretsq…
Little to explore @ The New York Aquarium May 02, 2009
Recently a friend came up to NY to visit. With little planning and no real "heads up" about his trip. I came up with the last minute suggestion of visiting the "New York Aquarium".

It's been something on my to-do list for some time now. Me, being the average New Yorker most of my life. I was planning to move away soon and thought it would be a good photo op to bring some friends along and perhaps converse about the various species on display there.

Be forewarned that surrounding neighborhood of the aquarium is less than ideal to say the least. Homeless people panhandling by the entrance, people of very sketchy nature walking about, and thuggishly dressed locals eying the tourists.

Convinced that "Earth Day" would be an appropriate time to go, we found ourselves waiting in a 30 minute line to purchase tickets that in my honest opinion were way overpriced for such a small scale attraction.

Wandering into the main lobby, we found ourselves packed like sardines. With literally more than 100 people crammed into a small dark corridor that served as a display hub for the walrus tank & the walk-in hallway into the outside animal habitat. Horribly confined with little breathing room, this is probably a claustrophobe's worst nightmare come true.

The entire attraction literally only took about an hour to walk through(and that's being generous). The attractions are typical fish that can easily be found in a pet store, park or at the beach(just a few meters away from the location). With very few rare species of animals, they drew the most attention. It also meant people who have no regard for etiquette spent the most time gawking at them, leaving everyone else waiting several minutes before they got a chance to view them.

Overall, the experience leaves much to be desired. The animal keepers, did make a conscious effort to entertain the visitors but in all honesty the entire aquarium was stock mostly of animals/fish that are easily found in pet stores, parks & beaches. The staff gets a B+ in my books, since the cleanliness of the place wasn't on par either. Garbage strewn across many of the walkways, empty beer cans left on top of benches and seats, mysterious gooey substances on handrails. I found myself having more to complain about the place than compliments.

Do yourselves a favor, if you find yourselves in the Coney Island area of Brooklyn, NY. Explore the boardwalk, there are great foods to be sampled, Freak shows(literally) to visit, Beaches to comb, Carney games to lose $$$ to, and many other fun things to do. Don't waste your time & money at the aquarium. If your looking to do some animal watching, check out the Bronx Zoo.
The shark tank.

Related Travel Blogs About The New York Aquarium

New York Aquarium and Coney Island
Since my family in law lives in Brooklyn I get to come here on a regular bases. Having a place to stay right across the street from Coney Island and the New York Aquarium is not a bad deal. So since …Brooklyn I get to come here on a regular bases. Having a place to stay right across the street from Coney Island and the New York Aquarium
Coney island & new york aquarium
We took a drive to coney island. we wanted to taste the famous nathan's hot dogs. it was such a beautiful summer day. we wanted to walk on the broadwalk. Welcome to the New York Aquarium - where the …York Aquarium holds a special place in the mission of the Wildlife Conservation Society - To save wildlife and wild places around the globe. The Aquarium is driven by a vision…

Check Brooklyn Hotel Deals