The Neptune

01303 875410

The Neptune Hastings Reviews

goezi goezi
Real English Fish and Chips Apr 20, 2009
I really was interested in Fish and Chips but Ma had a hankering for it and she chose Neptunes for our lunch. The place was busy and it seemed to be a very authentic English F&C shop in a town where the fishing boats were famous. We were expectigng big things.

We could see from the outside that the place was full. It was not a big restaurant and the simple tables and chairs were packed into the place. We found a table right beside the counter so we were almost overlooked by the waitress as she ran back and forth past us to the kitchen.

Neptunes is actually a Chinese F&C shop, like many in New Zealand. I was a little more disappointed and almost considered getting a Chinese dish. In the end I ordered a burger and chips. Ma ordered 2 fish and between us we’d swap some of my chips for one of her fish and we’d both be happy.

Well, I think we could have been happier. My burger was terrible. The fish was nice enough but Ma wasn’t as excited as she’d hoped to be. I was just a bit grumpy about all the batter on the thing.

For drinks Ma had ordered a cup of tea and I, a larger. The waitress brought me a water but I didn’t bother correcting her thinking my larger would be along shortly. It never was.

When it came time for the bill to be paid Ma finally admitted it was not the best choice. Our lunch came in at 26 English Pounds -but we did get a peppermint with that.
The Neptune from the street