The Nauset Light
Cape Cod, United States
The Nauset Light Cape Cod Reviews
The Nauset Light Jun 08, 2008
The Nauset Light was originally one of the twin lights at Chatham, just down the coast. In 1923 when rotating lights replaced fixed lights, it was moved to its present location on the eastern coast in Eastham.
The light was moved again - 300 feet to its present position - in 1996 to save it from certain destruction by an eroding cliff which is an ongoing problem on the Cape Cod outer shoreline.
The Nauset Light is distinctive by its bold red stripe around the top of its tower (called a daymark). This light offers tours - not only day tours but sometimes scheduled full moon tours. In November 2008, the light was open to the public after dark for the first time.
The Nauset Light Preservation Society is a group of voulunteers from Eastham whose original mission was to rescue the lighthouse. They succeeded in 1996 and now their mission is preservation and restoration of the oil house. The NLPS has an excellent web site at: http://www.nausetlight.org/
Part of the list Lighthouses
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!