The National Observatory

The National Observatory Athens Reviews

Johnpro Johnpro
The Athens Observatory ! Jan 02, 2012
History :

The National Observatory is a scientific institute for the study of “heavenly bodies” (we don’t think ours qualifies) and seismology. It is located on Nymphon (Pnyx or Pnika) Hill at a height of 107 meters (351ft) above sea level. Its construction began in 1846 and was completed in 1890.

Four institutes are working hand in hand in the National Observatory: the Institute of Astronomy and Astrophysics, the Institute for Environmental Research and Sustainable Development, the Institute of Geodynamics and the Institute for Space Applications and Remote Sensing.

Links :

What around : Theiseio , Arxaia Agora , Kerameikos, Acropoilis Museum , Acropolis , Pnyka .

How to go : Metro Monastiraki or theisio train station .

Tips : Wear shoes with rubber soles as leather ones or sport shoes . Try to visit with daylight !

Opening hours and tickets :

Great Athens panoramic view , And nice picture point for the Acropolis !

The photos are mixed from different visits from 2009-2012 !

P.s. I make the review like a small guide ! I know is more better and easier to read ! If you ask me what I like ? I like all of them and love to be a tourist in my city :)

I am not Historical or a Guide , just explore my city :) . Extra information contact with me :). Thanks for reading !
Oldest Observatory close to the ne…
Johnpro says:
Don't worry Jeff everything is quiet the media making the things really huge for nothing :) Some red parties making the troubles :) But we waiting you with your new camera Nikon D800 :) Thank you for your comment !
Posted on: Feb 19, 2012
jennjeff1 says:
If I ever get back to Greece (maybe after all the riots in Athens calm down) I'd like to visit the National Observatory! Thanks for a good review Ambassador Giannis!
Posted on: Feb 19, 2012