The National Gallery

Merrion Square West, Dublin, Ireland

The National Gallery Dublin Reviews

Vipin Vipin
Art for free! Oct 01, 2010
The National Gallery is a wonderful place to visit to catch some great art for free. Open since the nineteenth century, the gallery provides a great overview of the Irish masters, as well as a very good range of art from European painters.

I must confess that I wasn’t really aware of the famous Irish artists until I came here. I particularly liked the work of James Barry. Other notable art included Monet and Poussin (from France); Lippi, Caravaggio and Canaletto (from Italy); Picasso and Velazquez (from Spain); and Rembrandt and Vermeer (from The Netherlands).

For a free museum, the collection is amazing and I really wish more countries would be this generous about making great art so accessible to the masses. This is well worth the visit and I would definitely go back here again if I was in Dublin.
jameshendicott jameshen…
free, substantial art gallery with a nice cafe. Dec 18, 2010
The National Gallery of Ireland is a free art gallery located east of Grafton Street, with a nice selection of local and national art. I'm no art expert, but the displays cross through the ages, and there are some of the less famous works of Monet and Picasso to be tracked down. Not much in the way of post 19th century stuff, though, so give it a miss if that's what floats you boat.

The building itself is quite impressive, and given that it's free there's no reason not to have a look around. There is one paid part that often features a temporary exhibition from a well-known Irish artist. Some floors or rooms are often closed for maintenance, so you can't be sure of seeing any specific work in any one trip.

The cafe within the gallery has a nice atmosphere and is pretty affordable, too. It's buffet style, and a main meal might come in at around the ten Euro mark. If you've got a few days, it's a nice place where locals go to relax, drink a few coffees and read.

Related Travel Blogs About The National Gallery

to Eirinn!
We stayed at the Dublin International Youth Hostel, which is an old nunnery/school/chapel.  The dining room is in the old chapel, so it's really cool - high ceilings & stained glass etc.&…National Gallery.   Then we drove around in circles (Dublin has a lot of one-way streets, or just streets…
After getting up early we planned a full day in Dublin to visit the highlights of the city. We made an 6 hours walk through the city. First we went south from O'Connel street south to Trinity College…National Gallery. After that we went east to visit the Dublin Arch 1904 and the Stephen Green's shopping centre…

Check Dublin Hotel Deals