The National Art Gallery

Jalan Temerloh, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

The National Art Gallery Kuala Lumpur Reviews

nanie05 nanie05
Artworks by Malaysian artists. Jun 14, 2009
The National Art Gallery of Kuala Lumpur is situated at No 2 Jalan Temerloh, Off Jalan Tun Razak, just next door to the National Theatre ( in Malay, Istana Budaya - literally Culture Palace).

The modernist A shaped building was opened on 27 September 2000. Prior to this in the 1950’s around the time of Malaysia’s independence, the Art gallery was situated at Jalan Ampang, at the site of the current Malaysian Tourism Council (MATIC) building. It then moved to the former Majestic Hotel, the beautiful building across the road from the old Train Station of Kuala Lumpur.

If you feel you may lose your way getting there, use the Kuala Lumpur Hospital as your landmark and you won’t miss it - walking from Jalan Tunku Abdul Rahman towards the Chow Kit area, just walk ahead towards the hospital and roundabout and you can see it clearly. From KLCC, walk towards the Ampang Park Mall. At the Jalan Ampang traffic lights, just turn left and walk for about 2 kilometres...if you're up to it! As a KL native, I would still suggest taking a cab because it’s along a major thoroughfare and trying to get across may be crazy!

The National Art Gallery houses 7 galleries, with often changing exhibits, an art shop and a café selling local Malaysian food – not the best food I’m afraid but its okay for drinks...its not very expensive though.

It is open daily from 1000 hours to 1800 hours and entrance is FREE!

Sometimes though maybe because they are redoing the galleries and exhibits, you may find several galleries empty - quite annoying!

As a child in the 1970’s, when there wasn’t much to do in KL my dad used to bring us to the gallery on weekends and that’s how my interest in art began. Now I attend oil painting classes weekly at the National Art Gallery and it has become one of my favourite KL spots.
Painting workshop at the National …
Portrait painting workshop within …
Landscape painting workshop
The gallery cafe
jesstang says:
Hi Nanie,
So glad to know that there is painting class in KL! Just wonder if I can join. My husband and I moved to KL this March and I'm a housewife at the moment, so daytime class really fits me. I have learned painting when I was young(I am not young any more...hehe)and really hope I can pick it up again one day. :)
Posted on: Sep 23, 2011
GoTurtle says:
Hi Nanie,
Coudl you advise, how I could register for classes too? I am very interested to take up oil painting classes in Kuala Lumpur. I have been trying to look for an instructor with no success.
Posted on: Jul 14, 2010
nanie05 says: fact the Petronas Gallery has more current and up to date exhibits compared to the National Art Gallery which houses old exhibits..even of artists who have passed away a long time ago..!
Which hostel were you staying at?
Posted on: May 12, 2009

Related Travel Blogs About The National Art Gallery

Dan, Ben and Steves tour of South East Asia 2002
Wednesday 3rd April 2002 After 10 uncomfortable hours on lufthansa’s finest 747 we landed at Hong Kong’s Chek lap kok airport at about 7am, unfortunately we’d had seats in the middle row so di…Kuala Lumpur . We arrived late afternoon and got a room at the Backpackers lodge in Chinatown . We went out to eat and then had a look around for a cinema…

Check Kuala Lumpur Hotel Deals