The Myrtles Plantation

7747 U S Hwy 61, Saint Francisville, LA, USA

The Myrtles Plantation Saint Francisville Reviews

montecarlostar montecar…
"One of America's Most Haunted Homes" May 21, 2009
I had seen this plantation from the road while driving on Highway 61 when coming back from Baton Rouge to Ruston. I had always wanted to go, but I never had the chance because I passed by during non-working hours. But this time, as I was coming back from my LSU conference day, I decided to stop by and take a look.

The entrance to the plantation is just wonderful. It's got that eerie feeling coming from those mysterious windy branched oaks and the statues of angels and fairies in the front yard. It was around noon, so the first thing I did was to have lunch in the Carriage House restaurant which is inside the same property. They had a wonderful selection of Louisiana food, but I had already tried most of the dishes before with the exception of an eggplant-ground beef-cheese dish I've never tasted before. Obviously I went for it. They gave me a side salad and corn bread. Service was excellent, and food even better. You can never get it wrong with Louisiana food!

Then I went to the mansion. The first thing I did was to buy myself a guide for Louisiana Plantations, including recommended tours. That's a trip I will definitvely do before I leave Louisiana!

The tour started at 2:00 PM sharp. We went inside the mansion and the first thing we saw was an old stained mirror. The guide said that this mirror is haunted and that many people has got images of ghosts in their pictures (not on mine unfortunately) :( She said that the mirror needs to be replaced every certain amount of time, because it tends to stain (due to a natural process), but the scary thing is that the stains always follow the same pattern, sliding drops of an unknown substance... tears?? Blood??? There was another stain that forms the shape of a face... oooh this is getting scary lol.

Then we went exploring the rest of the house. Most of the furniture was not original, but representative of the style that the original should have had. All the house was full of superstitious symbols, statues of angels, crosses in the windows, upside down door locks and all sorts of tricks to prevent the spirits from haunting the house. Something that apparently nobody could achieve anyway.

They told us the stories of different murders that had taken place in the house, including one of a black lady who tried to poison her master, but ended up poisoning the master's kids instead. She, in fear and sadness, revealed everything to the other slaves, who instead of helping her, hanged her from a tree (perhaps in fear of actions from the master against all the slaves of the plantations). She is said to haunt the house ever since. Actually there are several pictures of the house gardens in which a woman in an ancient dress and two kids can be seen... reality or fantasy...? Actually the plantation offers the service of bed and breakfast for those adventurous enough to try to get in touch with these spirits... would I like to try that? I don't know for sure.

At the end of the tour, I toured the backyard of the house also, enjoying the wonderful day.

Overall, I think this is a very good activity for people coming to the Baton Rouge area, and I am really looking forward to start planning a plantations tour sometime this summer. I will be back to this house, but for the night tour they offer on Fridays and Saturdays. If anybody would like to join just let me know!
The welcome sign
The gate
The front yard
One of the statues in the front ya…
montecarlostar says:
I know it really is! No wonder it's America's Most Haunted mansion! Would love to stay there one night and see how it feels, but I don't know if I can survive it haha
Posted on: Jan 01, 2012
montecarlostar says:
I know! It was kind of exciting! :D I haven't been to Lalaurie yet, but it's definitively part of my intended summer plantations/haunted houses tour :D
Posted on: May 22, 2009
Transitory says:
so cool, have you been to the Lalaurie house yet?
Posted on: May 22, 2009