The Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA)

Los Angeles, California

The Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA) Los Angeles Reviews

erojas3 erojas3
MOCA in LA Mar 14, 2010
FIrst of all, I do not remember what the general admission price is but if you are a student and have an ID to show, you will pay $5.

The museum of contemporary art was one of my favorite art museums I have been to. A lot of my favorite painters (Miro and Pollock) have their paintings here and it was just amazing! It took me about 2 hours to do the whole thing. I recommend people visiting this is they are near downtown Los Angeles and if they like contemporary art.
Sculpture outside MOCA
my student ticket :D
Nov 04, 2007
The Los Angeles Museum of Contemporary Art is one museum with three locations in LA proper. The Grand Avenue space and the Geffen Contemporary at MOCA are located in downtown Los Angeles while the Pacific Design Center is situated in the middle of West Hollywood.

The Geffen Contemporary was converted from its past as a hardware store, warehouse, garage to its present form as a museum gallery by world-renowned architect, Frank O. Gehry whose previous projects include Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao, Spain and the Walt Disney Concert Hall in downtown Los Angeles.

The exterior of the Geffen Contemporary is plain and unassuming. A red steel beamed frame work does double duty to outline a “courtyard” space complete with simple and modern-styled tables and chairs as well as provide posts for banners and signs. The interior space has high ceilings, exposed beams, lots of natural light entering through the many skylights.

The Geffen Contemporary is adjacent to the Japanese American National Museum Pavilion and Japanese American National Museum's landmark Historic Building. To get to the Geffen Contemporary just walk through the Japanese American National Museum’s plaza.

Visit Tips

The website says to park at Advanced Parking System lot on the corner of 1st Street and Central Avenue for $5 uncovered and often is packed. I suggest a better plan—park in the covered parking structure for the Japanese Village Plaza. Parking here can cost a max of $8 BUT explore the Japanese Village Plaza to buy food or merchandise and get parking validations for discounts on your parking stay. My parking cost $1.25…which was a bargain for about 3 hours parking in downtown!

Admission is FREE for all MOCA venues every Thursday from 5pm to 8pm

Each museum location has different days closed so check the website for hours of operation.

General Admission: $8

Students with I.D.: $5

Seniors (65+): $5

Children under 12: Free

MOCA Members: Free
The Geffen Contemporary exterior
Japanese American National Museum …
X_Drive says:
Thanks for this nice review. We were looking for places to visit before and after the LA meetup. :)
Posted on: Nov 07, 2007
martinikitty13 says:
I was here too (with sybil of course) - so fun! great takahashi murakami exhibit - quite a feast for the eyes! and good sushi places within walking distance. :)
Posted on: Nov 07, 2007
sybil says:
haha! i was just there this past weekend to see the murakami exhibit. :D
Posted on: Nov 06, 2007
jenn79 jenn79
Dec 08, 2007
For $5 (with student ID - I think only $8 regular price) you can see the Murakami exhibit going on until Feb 2008 at the Geffen Contemporary branch of the MOCA.

Murakami is probably best known for his colorful contribution to the latest collection of Louis Vuitton bags. His company, KaiKai and Kiki does stuff from paraphernalia to cartoons.

This was one of the coolest exhibits I've ever seen - and there's a short multimedia exhibit of one of Murakami's cartoons that is imaginative, explosive and fun. This is a good description of his art - joyful, imaginative, colorful and fun. This is a must visit for a definite good time. However, crazy foreign trade buff that I am, all I could think of when watching the cartoon (which centered around growing watermelons) all I could think of was "this is outright agricultural propaganda! I would not be surprised if the government sponsored this!" Oh boy...
Retail Display of Murakami's compa…
martinikitty13 says:
it was fun - and funnier were the people in line who were actually buying the bags! i'm not sure how much they were, but with the murakami character imprinted on it, it was probably over $1000 for a simple tote.
Posted on: Dec 21, 2007
jenn79 says:
YES good point. Lots of sexual imagery - be forewarned! Funny thing is I totally missed the LV store because it was upstairs and I went close to closing. Boo! Was it fun??
Posted on: Dec 20, 2007
martinikitty13 says:
I really enjoyed this exhibit too - and it was funny having an LV store literally in the exhibit. I would probably have to warn people about taking kids to this exhibit - there are some explicit sexual imagery.
Posted on: Dec 20, 2007

Related Travel Blogs About The Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA)

Outstanding Trail To LA Closed To Griffith Park
Los Angeles is the world famous city because here you can get any type of entertainment and found every thing across the world to there. Los Angeles is the business as well as travel spot of the wo…Angeles. Fifth day was also knowledgeable day because I watched the The Getty Center (aka J. Paul Getty Museum), Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA), Los Angeles

Check Los Angeles Hotel Deals