The Monastery of Saint Euthymius
The Monastery of Saint Euthymius Suzdal Reviews
Nice medieval complex Aug 09, 2007
The Monastery of Saint Euthymius is a very nice complex that was build in the 14th century. In the 16th and 17th century tsars Vasily III and Ivan IV made large donations, after which the Assumption Church, the beautiful bell tower, the surrounding walls and towers and the Cathedral of the Transfiguration of the Saviour were added.
The monastery also contains a prison form 1764, that originally housed religious dissidents. The prison was also in use during the Soviet period. The prison now houses a museum about the monastery’s military history.
This monastery has a wonderful garden with flowers, trees and a vegetable patch, it’s a nice spot to sit in the shade. This complex is also located near open fields so from here you can do some nice hikes into the countryside.
Part of the Western Russia 2007 travel blog
2 / 2 TravBuddies found this review helpful/trustworthy
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!