The Mitre Bar

131-133 High Street, Edinburgh, United Kingdom
0131 652 3902
The Mitre Bar - Bangers and Mash with onion gravy...yum!!!
The Mitre Bar - The Mitre Bar on the Royal Mile
The Mitre Bar - Mar's dish...Shepherd's Pie...I think!
The Mitre Bar - The dining area where we were seated
The Mitre Bar - View towards the bar
The Mitre Bar - View towards the bar

The Mitre Bar Edinburgh Reviews

jack_nel jack_nel
Touristy, but good people watching location Sep 18, 2012
The Mitre Bar: There is small outdoor seating area, which is good for that location (weather permitting of course).

Order at the bar as is standard in the UK. I ordered the Wild boar and chorizo burger (10.95 GBP), served with apple and celeriac slaw.

There was a couple next to me who were waiting for their food when I sat down, they asked twice while I was there and each time told just 5 mins, finally the food came out as they said they wanted a refund. They ate, but weren't happy with the situation or their food.

My burger took 20 mins...

The burger was good, a thick hand patted burger, the wild boar is spiced up a bit and the chorizo is a nice compliment. The fries (they were out of the apple slaw) are thick cut, cooked medium and crispy on the outside. I had to hunt down my silverware and condiments on my own, even after asking.

I would definitely order that burger again, just keep in mind the Mitre Bar is tourist destination in a high traffic area and appears to have the service that goes along with such locations.
Nory Nory
Great food, good service and relaxed atmosphere Mar 13, 2011
As a traveler who is trying to have a unique experience each time I travel, I try to stay away from "tourist clich├ęs" and those really central restaurants/pubs right in the middle of a very popular area, thinking I'd probably pay a higher price for a mediocre experience. I chose to enter The Mitre due to hunger and tiredness which came over me while walking the Royal Mile and I'm really glad I did. In spite of its central location it's not pretentious nor over-priced, the food is good and the staff is really nice. You would find a selection of beers and ales as well, and it is welcoming to people of all ages, so you could just walk in for a nice lunch or a pint of beer in between site seeing.

If you feel brave enough to try some local cuisine, I'd say it is a pretty safe choice to try it here.
TRE69 TRE69
Too Hungry...I Don't Care If It's Haunted! Dec 31, 2007
The Mitre Bar is a traditional Scottish pub located on the Royal Mile.

The dining area has a very warm feel with the dark woods and tartan-like carpeting and seat cushions.

The Mitre Bar was built on the former home John Spottiswood, bishop of St. Andrews during the 1600s. Local lore says that the bishop's throne is buried under the bar and that his ghost still haunts the establishment. Freaky stuff!

The place was somewhat empty. I assume people were catching up on sleep for the Hogmanay/NYE festivities that would be keeping most if not all people in the city up late tonight.

I ordered a classic pub dish...bangers (sausages) and mash with gravy. I think Mar ordered the shepherd's pie. My meal was delicious...the sausages were savory, salty, and rich, the mash was creamy and smooth, and the onion gravy brought harmony to the dish. Mar's meal looked super cheesy.

Service was slow but competent.

Since it is situated on the Royal Mile, I think this place can get pretty touristy since it is not to far from the Castle.

The food was good. The atmosphere was comforting. And if you are into ghost hunting this would be a good place to start.
The Mitre Bar on the Royal Mile
The dining area where we were seat…
View towards the bar