The Minneapolis Light Rail

Minneapolis, Minnesota

The Minneapolis Light Rail Reviews

pinchora pinchora
how to ride the light rail in minneapolis Apr 01, 2008
The first time I went on the light rail I was so confused... and let me tell you I have mastered the NYC subway, Boston subway and Chicago loop!!! It should not be this hard. The first time I used it was to go to a Twins Game... I figured good, I can ride it with people who know the system... it wasn't that easy. I can walk to the Mall of America (MOA) from my house... so I did that to catch the train so I wouldn't have to deal with parking and I didn't know where to park. So if you are parking at the MOA you can park in any one of the east parking garages (the side between bloomingdales and sears) and walk down to the rail.

My friends and I said we'd meet at the platform so I went to the platform between where both the trains accept passengers and got my transit card from the kiosk...just like any city. I was just confused as why there wasn't any thing to swipe the card through to get on the train...so I figured it'd be inside the car.

My friends called me asking me where I was... I told them the platform... they were confused because they never took the lightrail from the MOA too... they told me I was at the wrong platform and to go onto the other side of the mall. I told them I didn't think there was another side... low and behold they thought inside the mall station was the platform so I waited for 15 minutes while I tried to figure out where they were. I found out when they said they were going to leave and loop around to get me at the next stop and they walked up to me with a confused look on their face.

Some things to know...

1.) there are no transfers from train to train as there is only one line right now... they want to build more but there is no funding

2.) There are a total of 17 stops which will take 45 minutes to go from start to finish---2 of which are the airport terminals and another for the Metrodome to go see a Twins Baseball Game

3.) the parking garage at the MOA stays open til 3AM...after that get your car out

4.) You don't swipe the metro card anywhere... it's based off the honor system... I took the train twice and never have I seen a cop ask for proof you bought the ticket...but apparently if you get caught without one it's a $180 fine

5.) You buy the ticket based on hours... up to 2 hours at a time...except during Twins Baseball games... then it's a 6 hour pass

6.) you can pay by credit card or cash... but if needing change back you will get the gold dollars back...not bills

7.) Fare Costs for the lightrail and bus system

Transit Fares

Non-Rush Hours Rush Hours

Adults (Ages 13-64) Local Fare $1.50 $2.00

Express Fare $2.00 $2.75

Seniors (65+), Youth (6-12)

& Medicare card holders

Local Fare $ .50 $2.00

Express Fare $ .50 $2.75

Persons with disabilities

Any Trip $ .50 $0.50

Rush hours: Monday-Friday 6:00-9:00 am & 3:00-6:30 pm.

Local fare is charged on light rail.
pinchora says:
yeah I know... I don't work in St. Paul but it would be nice for easy access!
Posted on: Jul 19, 2008
alyssa_ob says:
I can't wait until it branches out to St. Paul so I can use it for work.
Posted on: Jul 19, 2008
vulindlela says:
Good to know!
We will be using this for the Twins game in August.
Posted on: Jun 26, 2008