The Milepost

Juneau, Alaska

The Milepost Juneau Reviews

silan silan
The Milepost Mar 13, 2009
A review was just made for this but I had to make my own and agree wholeheartedly with the necessity of The Milepost on your next Alaskan and Yukon adventure!

The Milepost will guide your route with useful, detailed and updated maps as well as mile by mile markers about the area you're in, help you save with gas as it also notes where there are gas stations, tell you a little bit about the area you're in, and give you tips on great places to check out on your way!

I'll admit it's a little dangerous, since after purchasing the Milepost, we made several appealing and unavoidable detours and extensions on our trip, including a day trip along the Top of the World Highway from Dawson City to Chicken, Alaska and back, and a little excursion up the Dempster Highway.

You know it's become your bible when you pass a random landmark on the side of the road and, from remembering the site after reading the Milepost page by page the night before, you comment on it's significance. "Oh, this is Windy Pass. It's a section that was practically untouched by the last ice age. There is a unique species of moths that live here."

The Milepost will serve as your tour guide of Alaska, the Yukon, and certain sections of Northern BC and Alberta, and although you may think you have your route planned out, it's a great investment just to learn more about the area you're in, and possible detours and interesting sidetrips you could take. Your trip will be that much more amazing for it!

If you're looking for the Milepost in a store, ask if they have a copy of last year's edition left. It hasn't changed much, and you'll get a bit of a discount!
jaeden jaeden
MUST HAVE for an Alaskan Roadtrip Jun 24, 2008
We were in a bookstore somewhere in Alaska just looking around and as we were paying, someone we got to talking about our roadtrip and the guy behind the counter said we HAD to have this book. It was a must have. He went out of the way to find us a copy of the 2007 one because it was on sale and there isn't too much new info every year.

This guy was not lying. This book was incredible. Basically, it covered all the major highways in and around Alaska, including some in British Columbia, the Yukon, Alberta, and parts of western Northwest Territories. Each major highway has its own section (and some minor highways as well). Each section starts at one end of the highway and lists the mile/location of anything significant. This includes anything from restaurants to gas stations to historic sites! Almost every town/city is listed with places to eat, the best sites, campgrounds etc.

This book is like a bible for roadtrips through Alaska. I don't know what we would've done without it! When we were out of the Milepost's coverage area, I felt lost without it.

I'm not sure exactly how much it is but it's around the $25-30 range.

Related Travel Blogs About The Milepost

The day we met The Milepost
What a day. We got off the ferry after a rather random breakfast. The plan was to be healthy and eat oatmeal and a banana but the smell of bacon drew me in and I had to have it. First stop: visitor's…Milepost. It ended up being one of the best purchases of our trip. After that, we picked up some delicious gelato from Juneau

Check Juneau Hotel Deals