The Marquette Harbor Light
300 Lakeshore Blvd., Marquette, MI, USA
The Marquette Harbor Light Reviews
The Marquette Harbor Light Sep 20, 2008
This active aid to navigation is located in Marquette which is the Upper Peninsula of Michigan's largest city. The Marquette Harbor Light was among the first built on Lake Superior and remains one of the most photographed on the Great Lakes. The original lighthouse was constructed in 1852 but rapidly deteriorated and the current structure was built in 1865. The light was commissioned to help guide ships to Marquette's ore docks after iron ore was discovered in nearby Negaunee, Michigan, in the 1840s.
The two-story, red-painted brick building sits on a rocky peninsula at the entrance to Marquette harbor and has a forty-foot tower. A white octagonal lantern room houses a light with a focal plane 77 feet above the lake making it visible for 16 miles on clear nights and calm seas. (In the attached photos, note the open and closed shutters of the lantern room to direct its flash onto Lake Superior and away from the city.)
The U.S. Coast Guard used this lighthouse for housing until 1997. It is open for guided tours from May 14 through October 22 by the Marquette Maritime Museum, located next door, and is a major attraction to visitors of the city.
Part of the list Lighthouses
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!