The Market Cafe

1000 Decatur St, New Orleans, LA, USA

The Market Cafe New Orleans Reviews

e_w_richardson e_w_rich…
High Marketability Jan 21, 2013
My wife and I had just woken up and she wanted to go to Cafe Du Monde for breakfast down by the river. However by the time we got there, there was a very long line that I had no interest in standing in. We decided to go to the Farmer's Market instead but before we could get there we saw The Market Cafe. It was exactly what I imagined when I thought of dining in New Orleans. It was a covered open-air cafe with a jazz band playing while diners ate. Upon seeing it I directed my wife over and we sat ourselves. No sooner had we sat down than a young man came over to give us menus and take down drink orders. I'll just say it now, even though this was technically our first meal in New Orleans it was by far the best service we received the entire weekend. Not only was our server very attentive, but so were the other servers in coming over and talking to us. The cafe was pretty full so they weren't coming over to talk because they didn't have anything else to do.

So we ordered andouille gumbo, crawfish beignets, and an alligator sausage po-boy to split between the two of us. First the gumbo was very good and seemed very "cajun." I use quotation marks because I'm a yankee and don't know what really cajun is, but the gumbo was DELICIOUS! The crawfish beignets were interesting, because we had only heard of the beignets from Cafe Du Monde which are essentially fried donuts. The crawfish added an interesting taste to the fried dough of the beignet. However the show stopper was the alligator sausage po-boy. I've never had alligator before but this was a slice of heaven. A po-boy is a very simple sandwich consisting of a baquette stuffed with the desired meat, lettuce, tomatoes, and mayo. Such a simple sandwich but such a wonderful taste. We were only in New Orleans for three days, but I had three different po-boys and the one from The Market Cafe was the best. For the three entrees and two adult beverages it was only about $30 so the price was fairly cheap by comparison. Between the wonderful service, the great atmosphere and the delicious food, this was the best restaurant in New Orleans in our eyes.
Alligator sausage po-boy