The Manchester Museum

Manchester, England

The Manchester Museum Reviews

curious_claire curious_…
Def worth a visit Mar 26, 2015
So on my last day in Manchester I had a few hours to kill before it was dinner time so I wanted to squeeze in one final visit to somewhere. I had a quick look on TripAdvisor and came across the Manchester Museum. It was free so I decided it was worth checking out.

The museum is by the university building so a bit of a walk away from everywhere else I had been going which was fine with me as it meant I got to see a bit more of Manchester. I went into one room and it was mainly weapons. Cool to see but not much of an interest for me. It was the second room that I was happy to see as it was full of Egyptian artefacts and I do like my Egyptian history.

Next, I walked into a room full of dead, stuffed animals and a few fossils. I'm never sure if I find these cool or creepy! But there were lots of animals to see in various poses. When you get to the end of the corridor you head up the stairs to some more animals. When you get to the end there is another room. I walked in and thought it was more dead animals until one of them moved! Wasn't expecting that! So there is actually a bit of a zoo inside this museum. And there was a guy showing of a snake and some salamanders which was pretty cool and I got to stroke the snake.

After that you head down to the bottom level to where the space stuff is. Lots of rocks and crystals here. Unfortunately I had to rush this bit as I wasn't expecting to spend so long here (got distracted with the snake!) and I still had to find some food before catching my train.

I would definitely suggest this museum to people visiting Manchester. You probably won't find all sections interesting but you can just have a quick look and move on to an area you find more interesting.
The outside
Elephant skeleton
Egyptian Stuff
Glamour88 Glamour88
Free Manchester Museum Jun 06, 2010
I thought that the Manchester Museum was brilliant, probably one of the best (if not the best) museum that I have visited in England. Since I was a very young child I have always been fascinated by Ancient Egypt and archaeology, and I believe that this museum has one of the largest collections of Ancient Egyptian artefacts in the UK. Another emotional moment for me as there are human remains (mummified) and the stories about a couple of them are exceptionally sad. There is a warning before you enter this section of the museum as parents may not feel it suitable for their children to see etc.

The Living Cultures section was extremely interesting to look around. Many different American Indian stone tools, Japanese ivory carvings, there is Peruvian pottery dating right back to the first century AD. There is an Animal Life sections, where there is a variety of stuffed animals, and their skins/skeletons and there are Live Animals.

I spent just over a couple of hours looking around, could have spent longer but my friends feet were starting to ache!!

Related Travel Blogs About The Manchester Museum

Ok, Seriously now, Stop being a Geek
st1:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } I still had some time and I was well and truly in geek mode by now, so with a day in Manchester where I can do nothing if I wanted; go shopping if I wanted;…Museum (at Deepdale, Preston .   This should have been the natural choice!) I chose the Manchester Museum of Science…
Lunch time trip to the Police Museum
Tucked in a quiet corner of the city centre, the Greater Manchester Police Museum is a fascinating look at the history of policing.  It is housed in a former police station, and includes the old…Manchester Police Museum is a fascinating look at the history of policing.  It is housed in a former…

Check Manchester Hotel Deals