The Madrid Metro

Madrid, Spain

The Madrid Metro Reviews

wimmonnee wimmonnee
Metro Madrid Jul 27, 2013
Today (2013) a ride in the Madrid metro costs 1.5 euro. Leaving from the airport (or at the airport) requires a 3€ surcharge. Metro de Madrid has stations at Barajas Airport Terminals 4 and 1-2-3. You defenitely don't need a taxi (around 25 euro, depends on where you are going) to get to the heart of the city. Especially in the city centre stations are everywhere. Carrying lots of baggage? Consider taking a taxi after all. Some stations lie very deep under the surface and not every station has elevators. But overall metro de Madrid is the best way of moving around the city. Tourist travel passes available at the airport. A10-trip ticket is usually the best option if your hotel is in the city centre.
Vlindeke Vlindeke
Fast, cheap transportation in Madrid (including the airport) Feb 25, 2010
Arriving at Barajas airport just follow the signs ‘metro’. From the arrival terminal it took about 15 minutes to walk to the metro station. The terminal (and the distance to the metro) depends on the airline and airport you came from.

At the metro there was an information desk with friendly staff (the guy I talked to was very friendly and I understood his English very well). He gave me a map and coloured my way how to get to the hotel. I had to change the metro line twice to get to station ‘Gran Via’.

I bought a 10 way ticket for 10 euro’s out of one of the machines (you can pay cash or by credit card). This is including a supplement of 1 euro for the airport.

An one way ticket from the airport is 2 euro.

You can also buy tourist passes (for different zones) for 1 up to 7 days (unlimited use).

Using the metro you should notice the colour and/or number of the line and the direction (the name of the final station). Although it can be very, very busy in the metro (stations) directions are clearly marked! Be aware of your belongings………

Returning to the airport (after a marvellous visit to Madrid :-)) you have to buy a supplement ticket of 1 euro at the machine again….. you need this ticket to enter the airport.

Notice the terminal you’re leaving from, so you get off at the right metro station.

In general: when leaving a metro station: be aware that you take the right exit…. Otherwise you can end up at the wrong site (depending on where you want to go) of a busy highway or whatever.

More information at: (in Spanish and English).
portia says:
Good tip! We also took the metro from the airport to the city and back, also some short hops downtown. The note about the airport supplement is important, since if you used your 10 ride pass without the supplement when you go back to the airport, you won't be able to get out! So do remember to get the supplement for the airport separately.
Posted on: Jun 22, 2010
mcphistino says:
True, the Madrid metro really works way efficiently! And I surely had to grin about that € 1 suplemento to in Munich it's about € 12! I was surprised to arrive at the airport though and still needed 15 minutes to the gate, as you describe above. Even in Atlanta I didn't need that much time :-)
Posted on: Mar 07, 2010
KeikoCreative says:
That's great:)
Posted on: Mar 07, 2010
Chokk Chokk
Very nice and well working Jun 22, 2010
I have been in many nice and large cities and I naturally use the Metro as a mean of transportation, and naturally also in Madrid. The metro there was really great and with a total length of 284 kilometres and a total of 294 stations it covers most of Madrid. The metro can almost take you wherever you would like to go and more than three million people travel daily with it.

I liked that the stations were in many case very modern and so was the trains that I used as well. The ticket machines were really easy to use and the price was more than fair if you compare with Metro’s in other countries or other means of transportation in Madrid.
The station next to my hotel
Art in the Metro
Loads of long stairs
Walking all alone

Related Travel Blogs About The Madrid Metro

This will encompass my trip to Madrid, Spain.   I'd been to Madrid the summer after my junior year of HS (back in '96) as part of a class trip, and this was my first time back (and on my own).&n…Madrid metro was infinitely easier than Montreal, but it took me forever to get to my destination.  I stayed…
culture shock and i realized that i'm a certified mountain goat lol
trying to sleep after the heebeejeebees at barajas airport, in no time we were at the bus terminal in madrid. now, i havent been in this station - in Avenida America, because whenever i am taking a b…Metro Station (Chamartin) linking with lines 1 and 10 of the  Madrid Metro , for travelling to Madrid
Madrid is just such a cool place
Time to edit in the detail :-) now that we are home :-( Had wanted to go to Madrid for some while, and it was everything I had hoped for and more. Had expected Barcelona to be more like this, which …metro system which was a good 10-15 minutes walk from Terminal 1. Normal fare for Madrid Metro is €1 but there…

Check Madrid Hotel Deals