The Lugger Hotel Penzance

The Lugger Hotel Penzance Rates and Deals

The Lugger Hotel Penzance Reviews

sarahsan sarahsan
Much better than expected! Jun 08, 2012
I had booked the Lugger Hotel through Hotels.com because it was one of the cheaper options in Penzance. After I had booked it, I read bad reviews about unfriendly staff and it being very noisy. To my great surprise it was far from as bad as I had read.

The Lugger hotel is located directly on the Promenade in Penzance, a 15 minutes walk from the bus and train station. Just follow the coast.

When I arrived at 11:30 am there was no one in the reception. I went to the hotel restaurant, the Wheelhouse Restaurant, to look if someone could help me. A waitress got the key to the reception and checked my booking. My room wasn´t read so I left my bag and went out exploring. When I came back at 7:30 pm there was still no one in the reception. Same procedure in the restaurant again.

The hotel is old and worn, looks like something from the 1960´s, but when I entered the room and saw a double bed with beautiful white bed linen I was delighted. On the bed there were big and fluffy soft towels. The room wasn´t too big, but had a little table with two chairs, flat screen TV and good space for cloths etc. The bed was the best I have slept in in a very long time

The bathroom was very small and worn. It only fitted a toilet and a walk in shower. The washbasin was in the bedroom. It was actually a good solution, because it was plenty of space on the counter for toiletries.

I was only there for a short night, so I never checked internet access. Breakfast was included in the room rate (£45), but since I left at 5:30 am I never checked it. Even though there was a restaurant with live music in the hotel, the noise didn´t disturb my beauty sleep.

The reception never seems to be open, but just ask in the restaurant. They all seem to be able to help. The staff obviously work both places. It wasn´t the best hotel I have stayed in, but I wouldn´t mind staying there again if I return to Penzance. It was definitely much better than the Whiteways Guest House, where I stayed a week earlier.

If you try to book through hotels.com, booking.com etc you might get "not available". Try the Lugger hotel directly instead, on: http://www.theluggerhotel.co.uk/
The Lugger Hotel
Reception
Entrance
Entrance
sarahsan says:
Sorry that you have a song stuck in your head now Ian! :)
Dr_Seuss says:
Unfortunately, now, the name of the hotel has brought back to mind a Sex Pistols song, and it's stuck in my head :O ''The captain of this lugger, he was a dirty ......'' :D
Dr_Seuss says:
Nice review Sarah 8) A good bed to catch up on your beauty sleep, what more could you ask for :D

The Lugger Hotel Penzance Overview

The Lugger Hotel is situated on the beautiful sea front in Penzance affording views across Mounts Bay, the hotel is over 100 years old and is rich in character. The Hotel proprietors Lesley & Shane have been running the business since 1999 and pride themselves on the hotel/restaurants homely atmosphere and the famous carvery which is of a very high standard and locally sourced, thus making the guests and customers stay a memorable one. The Lugger Hotel is idealy situated for access to the Isles of Scilly, Newlyn Fishing Port, St. Micheals Mount, The Minack Theatre, Lands End and the famous Eden Project. Within walking distance of the town and the train & bus terminals as well as the heliport for the Isles Scilly and the Scillonian Ferry. Whether you are looking for a mini break/relaxing holiday or a superb dinning experience Shane Lesley & the WheelHouse Crew will make you more than welcome!

The Lugger Hotel Amenities

• Water Activities
  • Fishing
  • Ticket Service
  • Facsimile
  • Internet Connection (wireless)
  • Shower